£550

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The problem with the tube fare this is that the further out, the harder it gets. I live in zone 6 so my fare is around £2200, but commuting 5 days a week, 36 miles RT is hard, and if I dont do it at least twice a week, by the time I have paid single fares, I may as well bought a travelcard.

I also live in Zone 6 and also have a similar length cycle commute.
Your body soon get's used to the daily ride and distance.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
£4450 so far 'saved' although there's the basic costs to take out of that. Covering those, probably around £2500 saved since I started commuting by bike in 2013.

Ganymede

Veteran
My main saving is in parking fees as my commute is to the train station. Leaving the car for the day costs between £3.50 and £5.50 unless you commute in late and can park on the street (after 10.30am, which sometimes works in my line of business). No charge to park your bike!

I have just have been 'chatting' to someone else about this and I dont think I am eating or drinking right so suffer on the way home. I am going to see if that makes a difference.

In terms of savings I think I am just breaking even, more to do with the way I spend and accumulate and dont ride enough. (all show and not enough go - sigh)

Simontm

Veteran
The problem with the tube fare this is that the further out, the harder it gets. I live in zone 6 so my fare is around £2200, but commuting 5 days a week, 36 miles RT is hard, and if I dont do it at least twice a week, by the time I have paid single fares, I may as well bought a travelcard.

Zone 6 here too. 26-28 miles a day, 5 days a week. The effort is in avoiding idiots...:thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So for all the zone 6 guys how are you managing that kibd of mileage. Gosh I hope the idiot isnt me!

Just get on the bike and ride.
Bowl of cereal and a cuppa tea before the off....
Eat well during the day
and back home again.

There really is nothing to it. As I said previous, your body soon get's used to the distance.

Blurb

Über Member
Zone 5 me. Saved £2700, after costs for three bikes and all the paraphernalia/maintenance, since Oct 2011 when I checked my annual travelcard cost and thought it was ridiculous for an 11 mile trip into town. Best thing I ever did! Look forward to the commute even when it's piddling down.

Simontm

Veteran
So for all the zone 6 guys how are you managing that kibd of mileage. Gosh I hope the idiot isnt me!

Like Ian, bowl of cereal and a cup of tea.

I also have a couple of pints of water to encourage the speed up 3/4 way there when I need a pee! :laugh: Nah, in reality I found I was a bit dry in the mornings and it helped.

A big carb meal at lunchtime - pasta, pulses, potato, rice, with chicken, beef or sausages - does me (although my lovely wife batch cooks them!).

Again, as Ian says, just eat well during the day and don't become addicted to popcorn like I have!

Tynan

Veteran
my wife asked if I was enjoying riding in after a layoff

I said yes but I'd do it if I hated it to save the £10/dat travelcard cost of public transport

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I reckon that with fuel/depreciation/servicing and consumables that I easily save around £2,500 a year by doing my 24 mile a day commute.
It's important to keep a check on the savings so that when I buy a new machine I can justify the price by comparing it to the savings I've made!
Oh, and there's also the fitness/fun factor.

400bhp

Guru
Yes, but you've done 4 days before right and you do, what, an average of, say 75 miles at the weekend?? So, not a great leap for you.

Top Bottom