£6,000 budget, recommendations welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
He did say no Sram which presumably includes Etap :scratch:
Oops, missed that. In which case https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-b...di2/2412.html?dwvar_2412_pv_rahmenfarbe=BU/BK

I have the SL version with the same wheels, I can highly recommend it.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
At the risk of getting labelled / abused I'd suggest that £2-3k is perfectly ample for a decent bike and the rest would be better in gold, foreign currency or baked beans and pointy sticks as a hedge against the coming armageddon..

As much as some would love to justify it as jealousy I just see spending so much on a bike as terrible value, as such a poor buying decision and hence it's my natural reaction to say so in an effort to prevent people (as I see it) doing themselves a disservice.

I don't really think the "inverse snobbery" argument washes either - again it's not about outright cost but value. I'd expect anyone approaching CC looking to spend £100 on a brand new BSO that'll fall to bits within 6 months to be advised against it, while the same money chucked at a decent old used MTB or road bike would be applauded.. because it's a much more sound decision and after all the whole point of the forum is to share opinions to help each other out.

Of course it's the the OP's money to spend as they see fit, but they did ask for advice / opinions after all..

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, it actually says "a budget of up to 6k" so the OP evidently isn't determined to blow every last penny or turn their nose up at stuff that comes in under-budget...
Ah but he also says there’s some stretch in the 6k :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
At the risk of getting labelled / abused I'd suggest that £2-3k is perfectly ample for a decent bike and the rest would be better in gold, foreign currency or baked beans and pointy sticks as a hedge against the coming armageddon..

As much as some would love to justify it as jealousy I just see spending so much on a bike as terrible value, as such a poor buying decision and hence it's my natural reaction to say so in an effort to prevent people (as I see it) doing themselves a disservice.

I don't really think the "inverse snobbery" argument washes either - again it's not about outright cost but value. I'd expect anyone approaching CC looking to spend £100 on a brand new BSO that'll fall to bits within 6 months to be advised against it, while the same money chucked at a decent old used MTB or road bike would be applauded.. because it's a much more sound decision and after all the whole point of the forum is to share opinions to help each other out.

Of course it's the the OP's money to spend as they see fit, but they did ask for advice / opinions after all..

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well, it actually says "a budget of up to 6k" so the OP evidently isn't determined to blow every last penny or turn their nose up at stuff that comes in under-budget...
He clearly states he is not interested in 2k bikes. 6k is a lot of money to some people, but for others it is not a lot. I have just spent the most I have ever spent on a bike, but seeing as I ride a lot and it gives me great enjoyment, I don’t regret a penny of it. Over the years I have spent a lot more on many activities with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Ability-wise and price-wise this subject is way above my league, but I would suggest the op also asks in the cyclocross/duathlon/triathlon sub-forum as he is more likely to get replies from people who have related experience and are attuned to his needs, and possibly his budget.

Internet searches of specs and lists, while helpful, is no substitute for practical advice from those who also do similar riding.

Afternoon,

I know that this may sound odd but have you considered a custom made top of the range steel frame (Reynolds 953/ Columbus Spirit), specified just how you want?

The Genesis Volare Team 953 road bike came in at just under 8kg, the weight that you mentioned.

I appreciate that this is a bit heavy when doing comparisons as you could easily be giving away 1.5kg-2kg but if the frame is just right for you and it makes training on awful roads more fun, then come race day you may be faster than with a lighter bike and less training.

I have a bike with Di2 and find the buttons can be quite tricky to use sometimes, they are very close together and not always easy to differentiate. It may turn out that you prefer the Campag shifters which could be an issue when buying a ready assembled bike.

I know that you said no SRAM, but not no Campag. :-)

DRM

Guru
To me, I’d be making a list of what I wanted the bike to be specced with, then start the internet trawl to see who made what, at what cost, then I’d be looking at finding local dealers and trying some bikes out, if one or two feel right I’d then be comparing the geometry with those only available on line to see if I could get a bit more for my money by going down that route, I don’t think many even on here can safely pass comment on bikes at this kind of budget, I have seen that Canyon sell off ex team bikes, maybe a couple of years old, but it’d be nice to have something with a bit of history.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/outlet-bikes/pro-bikes/

vickster

Legendary Member
If I was spending 6k, I’d want a new bike with a lifetime warranty (but then I have zero interest in pro cycling)

@ OP don’t forget to budget for insurance which could be substantial

DRM

Guru
If I was spending 6k, I’d want a new bike with a lifetime warranty (but then I have zero interest in pro cycling)

@ OP don’t forget to budget for insurance which could be substantial
Quite possibly, but that would have been about £10,000 new, possibly more

Top Bottom