£6,000 budget, recommendations welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Wonder if a 6K bike comes with pedals?

I doubt it, it's budget bikes that come with pedals because customers expect a new bike to be ready to ride straight out of the shop.
Expensive bikes generally don't come with pedals, plus it's also a really good way to fiddle the weight figures to make the bike appear lighter than it ever actually will be in a rideable state.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Get Richard Hallett to make you a steel frame speed machine. He - and other builders like him, eg Feather - are craftspeople. You’d get a bespoke, fitted frame with the superlight dangly bits and You support real people making things with love.

This sounds like an 'everyone wins' type solution. :okay:

Plus see about getting some good solid insurance against theft too, I'd imagine.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Dura Ace pedals are 228g, I think the OP will be ok with that 👍🏻 if not, lighter are available ;)
I looked at titanium pedals, not sure what they weighed, but they had a max weight recommendation of around 80kg iirc. Not even in my dreams am I that light :laugh:

dodgy

I'm sorry some of you have found the question "pointless"

I think I was a little harsh, so apologies. What I mean is that there are many tangible differences between bikes up to around £3000ish, does it have Dura Ace or Ultegra etc. But over £5000 or so then the differences are more about intangibles such as history, tradition and how it makes you feel. I totally understand spending £6000, really I do, but I would know for certain what that bike would be because I would have spent years drooling over them in magazines and outside the local cyclist cafe :laugh:

I'd still buy a £3000 and spend the rest on col bagging in the French alps, you'd have enough for 2 long trips, more if you bunk with a mate or two. You'd remember those trips long after the new bike feeling.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I was a little harsh, so apologies. What I mean is that there are many tangible differences between bikes up to around £3000ish, does it have Dura Ace or Ultegra etc. But over £5000 or so then the differences are more about intangibles such as history, tradition and how it makes you feel. I totally understand spending £6000, really I do, but I would know for certain what that bike would be because I would have spent years drooling over them in magazines and outside the local cyclist cafe :laugh:

I'd still buy a £3000 and spend the rest on col bagging in the French alps, you'd have enough for 2 long trips, more if you bunk with a mate or two. You'd remember those trips long after the new bike feeling.
He may well have more than enough in the bank for the bike and the trips :smile:
It may not be a case of one or t’other

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
He may well have more than enough in the bank for the bike and the trips :smile:
It may not be a case of one or t’other

I could buy a bike like that without batting an eyelid if I really wished, but a) I don't like carbon fibre bikes anyway, and b) bikes at that price level don't represent any kind of value for money. They are essentially very expensive boy's toys for people with money burning a hole in their pocket that they have already run out of sensible things to purchase - which is fine if you are honest about it, but don't kid yourself something costing £6k is going to be meaningfully "better" than something half the price. You'll save a few ounces in weight and that's about it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I could buy a bike like that without batting an eyelid if I really wished, but a) I don't like carbon fibre bikes anyway, and b) bikes at that price level don't represent any kind of value for money. They are essentially very expensive boy's toys for people with money burning a hole in their pocket that they have already run out of sensible things to purchase - which is fine if you are honest about it, but don't kid yourself something costing £6k is going to be meaningfully "better" than something half the price. You'll save a few ounces in weight and that's about it.
Have you done an ironman on a 3k or 6k bike then and thus know that a 6k bike is no better than a 3k bike or a 1k bike? I'm going to take a wild stab and say probably not huh ;)

I've not either...so I don't know whether one is better than the other for the OP - however, HE has decided what he would like to spend / type of thing to buy and was looking for some suggestions of what to look at and try out and where, possibly more leftfield options that he may not have considered

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Spend your £6k on a bike, I would but unfortunately I need to spend it on my house for now !! I really don`t see what the big problem is with some folk on here. If you have it to spend then why not !! Could I justify it hell yes could I justify it too the boss hell no :laugh:

DRM

Guru
I would also look at a frame that’ll take a 28/30 mm tyre, and buy some race wheels with suitably race oriented tyres, use these to race on, use the stock wheels to train on crap roads

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I was about to post same bike! 6.5kg, its where my dosh would go :okay:
I did not quite go that far but reasonably close. This is my new ride.

1597056812058.png

Top Bottom