£6,000 budget, recommendations welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
If I had £6k to spend on a bike, I would probably buy the frameset and components separately. Get exactly what you want.

BigMeatball

They are essentially very expensive boy's toys for people with money burning a hole in their pocket that they have already run out of sensible things to purchase

Typical cheapskate words.

You could have worked a little harder in life so you'd have been able to afford these bikes too instead of being bitter towards people who are in a position to afford them.

vickster

Legendary Member

You could have worked a little harder in life so you'd have been able to afford these bikes too instead of being bitter towards people who are in a position to afford them.
He says he could afford them but he has no interest in such bikes. That's his prerogative but he can't help himself criticising people who make different choices
(I'd love to know how much he pi$$es away on beer (literally) and kebabs every year which is what he chooses to spend on)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A lot of high end shops will include a bike fit when spending that much :okay:
I cycled past this place on Saturday

https://www.racescene.co.uk/

Which is in a very unassuming little town near Barnsley.

I suggest the OP looks for a place like this which is a bit nearer to him than Barnsley. It seems to be focused on customers like him.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

:rolleyes:
I could go out today and buy a £6k bike, and I'm a lazy b*stard :laugh:
Only one? :whistle:

To be honest the focus on price/budget confuses me and seems a strange way to choose a bike. I find it hard to equate 'I've been getting back into cycling for a couple of months after a 3yr absence' with 'I want to buy a £6k bike'.
I am a lifetime cyclist and have quite exacting requirements and expectations of my bikes and while budget isn't really an issue I would never think 'let's go out and buy a bike worth £xxx'. I would make a list of what features I need, what features I want and any extras that would be nice to have. Once that lot was priced up I would then decide if I was able and happy to spend that amount. Starting from the price and working back is an odd way to do things.

Rando

Veteran

DRM

Guru
:rolleyes:

Only one? :whistle:

To be honest the focus on price/budget confuses me and seems a strange way to choose a bike. I find it hard to equate 'I've been getting back into cycling for a couple of months after a 3yr absence' with 'I want to buy a £6k bike'.
I am a lifetime cyclist and have quite exacting requirements and expectations of my bikes and while budget isn't really an issue I would never think 'let's go out and buy a bike worth £xxx'. I would make a list of what features I need, what features I want and any extras that would be nice to have. Once that lot was priced up I would then decide if I was able and happy to spend that amount. Starting from the price and working back is an odd way to do things.
You and me both, this does seem a back to front way of doing this, it’s a hell of a gamble to drop £6,000 on a bike, only to find out a few months later that something about it actually doesn’t work for you as you hoped it would, be better to find it out on a much cheaper bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Have you done an ironman on a 3k or 6k bike then and thus know that a 6k bike is no better than a 3k bike or a 1k bike? I'm going to take a wild stab and say probably not huh

The other week I was out on my Raleigh Royal, not exactly dawdling, and I got overtaken on a slight uphill gradient, at quite some pace, by some bloke riding the cheapest, nastiest Viking road bike - one level up from a BSO. This guy didn't even look like a cyclist, he was dressed casually just like I was, but he was going like a bat out of hell - and having passed me, continued at that pace into the distance. The bottom line it's the rider that makes the biggest difference, not the bike. You can spend all, the money in the world but at the end of the day fancy bikes don't mean shoot. A fast rider will make anything go quick, a slow rider will still be slow even on a £10k bike.

Top Bottom