£6,000 budget, recommendations welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Why don't you get the train into Manchester? assuming you're crewe sort of way?

Trek shop in the NQ and pinarello on deansgate

Don't want to slag off Harry Halls, but I had heard it isn't what it used to be.

BigMeatball

also, if you opt for a trek, the first steroids cycle is included in the price

That's a lovely bike. Might be thinking of something similar for my next summer bike. 25mm tyres are just not enough for the potholes of today !

simongt

Guru
When I saw the budget of £6k., I thought that my dream bike; a Paris Galibier with frame & forks @ £2800 is a bargain - ! ^_^ :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

djw1

Regular
Apologies for the radio silence..

I've put a deposit on a Cervelo S5 at a local(ish) bike shop I visited yesterday.

It has Ultegra hyrdaulic discs but a mechanical Ultegra groupset. As much as I'd have liked Di2 it wasn't a deal breaker and I thought it better investing in a properly good frameset where components can be upgraded later assuming I want to. It's maybe a little more aggressive than I was originally looking for but thought it best to have something very different from what I have - no point in buying something that's much the same.

With it being a 2020 model and the 2021 model now being realised, albeit not available until at least April 2021, I got a very decent discount and I'm way under the £6K budget. The wheels are OK at best but definitely aren't up to the standard of the frame.

I'm happy to spent £1K on the disc wheelset and still be £1K under budget. They're recommending Hunt Aero 50s but from what I've read, although they're not bad, they're nothing more than Chinese rims with decent hubs and Hunt have done a great job at marketing them as something far superior. A seperate thread will be underway.

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. Pictures will eventually follow when I collect it.

YellowV2

Veteran
For that kind of outlay I'd want something special built to my spec, I wouldn't bother with discs or electronic!
Campagnolo 12 speed mechanical on a made to measure steel or Ti frame.

OP
OP
D

djw1

Regular
For that kind of outlay I'd want something special built to my spec, I wouldn't bother with discs or electronic!
Campagnolo 12 speed mechanical on a made to measure steel or Ti frame.

Oh no. Should I ask the shop for my deposit back, do you think?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Spending that kind of money, there are many good choices, and very few bad ones. One bike does not fit all. And I could think of multiple completely different choices that would suit me nicely!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Apologies for the radio silence..

I've put a deposit on a Cervelo S5 at a local(ish) bike shop I visited yesterday.

It has Ultegra hyrdaulic discs but a mechanical Ultegra groupset. As much as I'd have liked Di2 it wasn't a deal breaker and I thought it better investing in a properly good frameset where components can be upgraded later assuming I want to. It's maybe a little more aggressive than I was originally looking for but thought it best to have something very different from what I have - no point in buying something that's much the same.

With it being a 2020 model and the 2021 model now being realised, albeit not available until at least April 2021, I got a very decent discount and I'm way under the £6K budget. The wheels are OK at best but definitely aren't up to the standard of the frame.

I'm happy to spent £1K on the disc wheelset and still be £1K under budget. They're recommending Hunt Aero 50s but from what I've read, although they're not bad, they're nothing more than Chinese rims with decent hubs and Hunt have done a great job at marketing them as something far superiotr. A seperate thread will be underway.

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. Pictures will eventually follow when I collect it.

No matter what you pay for a factory bike, it seems wheels are often a weak point.

I think you are spot on about Hunt - more clever branding than quality product.

Might be time for handbuilts if an upgrade is required.

Haven't reed the entire entire thread but are the wheels on the £6,000 or so bike factory built?
If conventionally spoked, surely they will at least have been hand-tweaked after being machine built?

Top Bottom