£6,000 budget, recommendations welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

djw1

Regular
The shop offered me £100 to buy the stock wheels from me. They're £200 new so totally not up to scratch relative to the frame. I might keep them as a spare set, just in case.

The shop wouldn't do me a deal as such but did want to sell me Hunt Aero 50s. I didn't commit at the time and said I'd need to do some reading up before committing to a wheel purchase - I wouldn't be happy doing it on the spot, despite them recommending Hunts.

Long story short is I've gone for Bontragers. The shop couldn't source them from Bontrager so I've bought from Sigma and they're being delivered directly to the shop I bought the Cervelo tomorrow for fitting. I'm due to collect the bike a week today.

I picked the Bontragers because...

They've got the ideal profile. Not too deep that wind should be an issue

No rider weight limit (not exactly important to me personally, but it says something about their faith in the product whereas every other manufacturer has a limit)

Lifetime warranty. And free repair/replacement in the first 2 years if damaged in an accident

DT Swiss 350 hub internals, spokes and nipples which are tried and tested

Light for their profile - 1475g a pair

Lots of very decent reviews etc

They're more than I wanted to spend but I'm happy with my choice.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...er-aeolus-pro-37-tlr-disc-road-wheel/p/31547/

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
6K i would buy a frame and spec my own bike . I wouldn't bother with disk brakes as it limits the wheels you can switch in and out for racing / Irongirling :laugh:
Aero beats everything ( apart from fitness ) so spend the money wise . your choise of shoes and you clothes will make you just that little bit faster :okay:
Should have read past page one before commenting :rolleyes:
Hmmmmmm I'd lay off the review of hunt wheels seeing as you have never owned a set and going on hear say . If i was in the market for new wheel i'd be happy drop 2k hunts way . Thats for the back wheel not the front :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

djw1

Regular
Hello again. As promised, photos of the new bike I collected this afternoon. Apologies for the crap quality photos.

I've been out on it this evening, just 30 miles across the usual crappy surfaced back lanes. My average speed has gone from 15mph to 23mph!

Not really! As said before, I didn't buy it with any expectation that it'd increase my average. I was a bit nervous it'd be a punishing ride given everything I'd read about its stiffness and aggressive setup. It's actually a fair bit more comfortable than my Neil Pryde which is really surprising. When I hit bumps and bad surfaces on the Neil Pryde you really feel the hit, the shake, a bang, almost like a shockwave which travels through the bike and isn't absorbed, and instead travels through you. The chain slaps with the impact and it's generally unpleasant. Perhaps my tyre pressures haven't helped and I've often come away feeling fatigued, with numb/ringning hands and fingers. I can only put it down to the bike as I know the fit is spot on.

Anyhow, with maybe a bit of a rose tinted view, the Cervelo is noticably more comfortable. Maybe it's the new, wider rims compared to my old C35s, which house a 25mm tyre properly instead of creating a lightbulb shape effect. Over the same surfaces, there's no bangs or hits, and no numbness in my hands. There's absolutely no road buzz either.

The saddle's also great and far more comfortable than the Fizik - I've never had one with a cut out in the middle until now - hopefully it'll stop any potential 'problems' later in life.

What with Covid, the shop wasn't able to do a full-on bike fit, and instead did a more basic setup. I'm welcome back when things calm down for a better fitting. That said, the reach, bar width and general comfort already feel great so not too sure what could be made better next time around.

Thanks again for your help.

cerv1.jpg

OP
OP
D

djw1

Regular
Hmmmmmm I'd lay off the review of hunt wheels seeing as you have never owned a set and going on hear say . If i was in the market for new wheel i'd be happy drop 2k hunts way . Thats for the back wheel not the front :rolleyes:

I've not reviewed them. Instead I asked for opinions. But thanks for your advice.

Hello again. As promised, photos of the new bike I collected this afternoon. Apologies for the crap quality photos.

I've been out on it this evening, just 30 miles across the usual crappy surfaced back lanes. My average speed has gone from 15mph to 23mph!

Not really! As said before, I didn't buy it with any expectation that it'd increase my average. I was a bit nervous it'd be a punishing ride given everything I'd read about its stiffness and aggressive setup. It's actually a fair bit more comfortable than my Neil Pryde which is really surprising. When I hit bumps and bad surfaces on the Neil Pryde you really feel the hit, the shake, a bang, almost like a shockwave which travels through the bike and isn't absorbed, and instead travels through you. The chain slaps with the impact and it's generally unpleasant. Perhaps my tyre pressures haven't helped and I've often come away feeling fatigued, with numb/ringning hands and fingers. I can only put it down to the bike as I know the fit is spot on.

Anyhow, with maybe a bit of a rose tinted view, the Cervelo is noticably more comfortable. Maybe it's the new, wider rims compared to my old C35s, which house a 25mm tyre properly instead of creating a lightbulb shape effect. Over the same surfaces, there's no bangs or hits, and no numbness in my hands. There's absolutely no road buzz either.

The saddle's also great and far more comfortable than the Fizik - I've never had one with a cut out in the middle until now - hopefully it'll stop any potential 'problems' later in life.

What with Covid, the shop wasn't able to do a full-on bike fit, and instead did a more basic setup. I'm welcome back when things calm down for a better fitting. That said, the reach, bar width and general comfort already feel great so not too sure what could be made better next time around.

Thanks again for your help.

View attachment 543569
View attachment 543569

View attachment 543569

View attachment 543570

View attachment 543571

View attachment 543572
I'm not normally a fan of cervelo colour schemes (that's the only thing that lets them down IMO) but that's :becool: Enjoy :okay:

OP
OP
D

djw1

Regular
I'm not normally a fan of cervelo colour schemes (that's the only thing that lets them down IMO) but that's :becool: Enjoy :okay:

Thank you. :-)

My other bike is matt black and I wanted something with a bit of colour in it. That said, I didn't have much choice - it happened to be the last one in stock and my size too. I'd have probably picked it over the plain matt black which was the alternative. Most of the finish is matt but the downtube and seatstays are part gloss and part matt, and the chainstays are all glossy. There's a shimmer (fleck?) in the paint too which catches the light.

They've some awesome colours in the 2021 model, an ultraviolet purple for one, and it looks great. No difference to the frame though.

I'll eventually take some better photos. I should have done earlier when it didn't have cow sh*t on it.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
So would I but we can squander money on what we like. People will always sneer, "look at that fat MAMIL on their superbike" as they drop them on their 2014 Allez. If it makes you feel happy screw what others think.
2014? That's almost brand new in my book. I'm thinking of getting "2010" printed on my Allez in the largest figures I can fit, and pointing to them every time I pass anyone! ^_^

mattobrien

Guru
Looks like a lovely bike, I hope you get a lot of pleasure from riding it.

I picked up this thread well after you’d made your decision, so didn’t add my tuppence, but it looks like you have made a great choice. I’ve got a couple of Cervelos myself, one of which is my TT bike, cost more than £6 and only gets ridden on race days. The horror and lack of value!

It’s a funny place here, always a lot of inverse snobbery. Personally I have always enjoyed my bikes and am happy spending on them. Is a £10k bike twice as good as a £5k bike, no, but it is likely nicer and if you have the money and are going to enjoy it, then it’s no one’s business but your’s.

I hope all goes well with training and racing.

Top Bottom