£600 bike for Audax etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoom

Über Member
virtually all of my Audax rides inc. PBP have been done on an alloy Ribble; the biggest problem seems to be finding slim enough mudguards if you use the short drop brakes; but I've had few probs with 23mm tyres. The steel thing seems to be a UK thing; a triangle is a triangle whatever metal it's made of (and my bike has alloy forks too)

Chris James

Über Member
itisaboutthebike said:
A bit 1980's ? Why ? Just because it isn't compact and hasn't got fat tubes ? Its steel (much better ride than Alu), its got STI's and has good clearences for slightly wider tyres and guards. What more do you want ?

Its a better bike than you think.

Funnily enough I have a Dawes Audax and also a 1980's touring bike. The audax does have fattish tubes and looks space age in comparison to a genuine 1980's bike!

Mine is the 2006 model which is a sort of tripe chainseted version of the Audax Supreme and it is a very nice bike, albeit not super light. I think the cheaper Audax Sport has a 520 frame though?

jimboalee

I Audax on a Dawes Giro 500. 23lb, 35" lowest gear (triple chainset) and all the gears for most rides are those with the middle 42t chainring.

It has mudguard clearances, so they are fitted. It has Shimano Tiagra gearset. Tektro duel pivot calipers. I've fitted my trusty old Brooks B17 to get that 'armchair' feeling.

I rode 12 Audax points this year. 3 x 200 and 2 x 300 km events.

I ride populaires on a Halfords Apollo 'County' gents 3 speed Sturmey 'Town' bike. Yes, all 38lb of it !!

So any bike is OK for Audax.

Valkyrie

In the price range you're looking at quite a few audaxers go for the Tifosi with the mudguard clearance (can't remember the model). Seems a decent bike for the money.

P.H

Über Member
How are you with the spanners?
You could build up a Kinesis Racelight T for your budget, I have one, not quite as comfy as the steel tourer, but it flys in comparison. I haven't ridden the other aluminium bikes mentioned, I chose the Racelight because it has better clearances. Frame is around £170, ITM Visia forks are a good match at £70, Open Pro rims on Tiagra hubs for £115, Tiagra groupset for £165. Leaves you £80 for budget finishing kit, OK that's tight, but even if you went a few quid over budget I think it'd be worth it.
Here's a review;
http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/2863/v/1/sp/

Top Bottom