À la recherche du temps perdu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Proving to Dellzeqq that we denizens of Tea? are not entirely without culture, I'm giving this thread a fancy title, referring to the theme of involuntary memory.

I just posted in the Dallas thread about how the theme music makes me think of childhood bedtime, and how I would often sit very still and quiet in the hope of being forgotten rather than sent to bed. In a similar way, the themes of Kojak, Starsky and Hutch or Cagney and Lacey bring strongly to mind the taste of a crisp sandwich, which was often a Saturday night supper treat. Usually while Mum cut Dad's hair with a sort of razor comb, him sitting on a chair on a plastic sheet. I can hear that comb going through hair now.

Carrot tops take me back to the garden of our family flat, and the landlady's rabbit which we looked after sometimes. And hence, huge blue hydrangea bushes.

What are your Madeleine moments?

Cheddar George

oober member
Sh*t ....... i can still feel the sensation of my mum running one of those things through my hair. Sets my teeth on edge. :sad:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There was a period when my bedtime coincided with the start of the Good Life, prompting a desire in me to discover what I was missing.
I subsequently discovered that my parents were in fact doing me a favour, as the only Good Thing about the Good Life was Felicity Kendal. Although Servilan from Blake's Seven was far more influential in my formative years as a teenager...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Proving to Dellzeqq that we denizens of Tea? are not entirely without culture, I'm giving this thread a fancy title, referring to the theme of involuntary memory.
it's a start, but, then again, if that was the sum total of Proust's Madeleine moment we'd probably get the same effect of chocolate fingers.

Ah........................chocolate fingers. A small boy in Hovis jumper and shorts. A dog on a string. The dog's name is Toby. The boy's name is Jimmy. The boy offers the dog a chocolate finger. The dog licks the finger. The boy thinks better of it and takes the finger back. He eats the finger, heedless of the dog's saliva dripping from the end. And, in that second of not knowing lies a paradox. To know, in retrospect, is to lose the time before knowing......................fark me, I'm supposed to be preparing a planning brief. I'll get back to you.....

There was a period when my bedtime coincided with the start of the Good Life, prompting a desire in me to discover what I was missing.
I subsequently discovered that my parents were in fact doing me a favour, as the only Good Thing about the Good Life was Felicity Kendal. Although Servilan from Blake's Seven was far more influential in my formative years as a teenager...

Barbara Good or Servalan?

I am sure Freud or any other psychoanalyst would have a field day with that one!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

I just posted in the Dallas thread about how the theme music makes me think of childhood bedtime, and how I would often sit very still and quiet in the hope of being forgotten rather than sent to bed. In a similar way, the themes of Kojak, Starsky and Hutch or Cagney and Lacey bring strongly to mind the taste of a crisp sandwich, which was often a Saturday night supper treat. Usually while Mum cut Dad's hair with a sort of razor comb, him sitting on a chair on a plastic sheet. I can hear that comb going through hair now.

Carrot tops take me back to the garden of our family flat, and the landlady's rabbit which we looked after sometimes. And hence, huge blue hydrangea bushes.

What are your Madeleine moments?

When you refer to Madeleine moments, does that mean you have actually read the book?

Sandra6

Veteran
Even the mere mention of such things as gaviscon reminds me of my mother and a large spoon of milk of magnesia.xx(
To this day I cannot swallow anything medicinal from a spoon, or dissolved in water, thanks to my dad's attempt at hiding paracetamol.
A happier memory is brought on by fresh leeks, they always remind me of helping in my uncle's allotment.
The smell of petrol reminds me of being pregnant.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Sunday tea in my parents house when I was but a small boy was paste sandwiches, usually sardine and tomato, and a home baked cake, my mum was a very good cook. The smell of a fresh cake in the oven on a sunday afternoon whilst watching the Big Match is something that when I think about it takes me back to 1969. I was 12 then.

Top Bottom