À la recherche du temps perdu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I somehow feel that life has passed me by. As an undergraduate, I spent my time between the covers of Leninger's key text book on biochemistry learning pathways, genetics and mechanisms.

Similar thing here, but it was linguistics rather than biochemistry. Darn near killed my desire to read in truth. It became associated with obligation rather than choice, chore not pleasure, prison with no escape. Luckily, I had read all of Ian Fleming's Bond novels by then. "Bond took a mouthful of hot, buttered toast"... exquisite line, from Moonraker I believe. Fleming liked describing food. Shame they didn't have McDonalds back then.... 'Bond shovelled salty onion rings down his gob, pausing only to cram in a mouthful of quarter pounder (with cheese of course). The special sauce dribbled down his chin causing him to reach for child sized serviette and wipe the offending trace before it fell onto his tailored, James of Saville Row shirt'.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I somehow feel that life has passed me by. As an undergraduate, I spent my time between the covers of Leninger's key text book on biochemistry learning pathways, genetics and mechanisms. For my postgraduate studies and doctorate I devoured organisational sociological tombs by such luminaries as Richard Scott and Mintzberg. No Proust, no Freud, no Satre, no De Beauvoir, no Spinoza........

I think it's time I got a life :smile:...........:cuppa: anyone?
I realise that this is written in jest, but the thought that not reading a book is somehow indicative of a life wasted is a sad one. Reading books in your own time should never be a chore - well, actually, reading books in your employer's time should never be a chore, but I doubt that every book on biochemistry or urban planning is a fun read.

Top Bottom