‘Burner’ bike at each end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrklaw

for my commute into London i’m looking to save money on car parking by cycling. Option 1 is getting a Brompton and taking it on the train.

Option 2 would be using a cheap/crap bike at either end and not worrying too much if it gets damaged/stolen. I’d still lock it up etc. In theory I can simplify that by walking from the London end which is what I normally do anyway, so could be an option to not even have my own bike London side. That would mean no bike left overnight on a London platform (windsor side i’d ride home so would only be unattended during the day)

Anyone do this?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Have sort of done both, but not for regular commuting. I get the train for other journeys though. Had a Brompton for a few years, very useful if you need a bike at both ends (I'd take it on Eurostar to Paris pre-Velib' for example). Sometimes use my shopping/ utility bike (not crap but not especially attractive, I use two locks anyway) to ride to the station and leave it there- it's about a 25 minute walk to my nearest mainline station so cycling is ideal. Never tried having a bike at either end, is Boris bike an option at the London end?

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

Yeah lots of options London end. I like walking even though it’s 40 mins from Paddington to my office. I can take the tube which takes about 30 mins, or Boris bike could be an option

vickster

Legendary Member
You’re not guaranteed a Boris bike at mainline station on a sunny day in peak rush hour or being able to park at the other end

Personally I’d get a Brompton if you have the readies. They hold their value well if you want to sell on at some point

Hassle replacing your burner bikes if stolen or trashed and possibly not a pleasant ride (not ridden a Brompton tho)

Top Bottom