‘Clicky’ or ‘Cricky’ Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 5454826, member: 9609"]psychosomatic brought on by guilt ^_^

how heart breaking must that be, the new bike that you have always dreamt of arrives and you can't ride it cause your backs went - wow

seriously though, take this experience as a big big warning that something is going wrong with your back, you may not get over it as quick the next time. I had a few minor warnings then found myself crawling around on the floor for 3 months in agony I couldn't describe, at least 6 months before I could tolerate sitting. May be two years or more before mostly getting over it. The solution was in core strength with me and some of the exercises in your links are what I done. but may the pilates/physio started me off at a far far easier level.

So are you on this new bike yet ?[/QUOTE]

Yes - I have been out for the odd 25 on it - but obviously 3 months out I can't do it justice , and with the weather closing in I will be back on my winter bike mostly from now on.

After much obstruction from my GP - I got an MRI scan - but don't have the results yet. I have suffered with these flare ups (but never this bad) for a good few years - sometimes a steroid injection calms it down - but GP wouldn't authorise it this time. I got my MP to intervene and have a consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon in around a weeks time.

Think youre right though - it was such a great summer, I dropped my yoga sessions and went out on the bike - I think that, and too many hills were the cause of my problems - hoping to get back out with the club in the next few weeks...

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I had a decent end to last week and went back to work only doing light duties. Stupidly I lifted my cargo bike onto a workstand this weekend and I have undone any good work. Brakes work well though. Back to square one and sleep has been rubbish for two nights. Slept on my daughter’s swimming woggle. Off work again.

Encouraging stuff: I am sick of the drugs so a friend has leant me a TENS machine. Wow! I don’t enjoy pain, but I like this. It’s like being tasered without the cops shouting at you and making you fill in loads of forms.

*NHS physio appointment still in the next ice age.

I had a decent end to last week and went back to work only doing light duties. Stupidly I lifted my cargo bike onto a workstand this weekend and I have undone any good work. Brakes work well though. Back to square one and sleep has been rubbish for two nights. Slept on my daughter’s swimming woggle. Off work again.

Encouraging stuff: I am sick of the drugs so a friend has leant me a TENS machine. Wow! I don’t enjoy pain, but I like this. It’s like being tasered without the cops shouting at you and making you fill in loads of forms.

*NHS physio appointment still in the next ice age.

I really wouldn't wait for an NHS physio appt - all they do is give you exercises, not that there is anything with that - but either mine from a couple of posts back, google some or buy a book.
A private physio maybe more helpful and they can do stuff like acupuncture, dry needling, or a more intense massage - it vary s according to NHS trust, but where I am they don't do much beyond a set of exercises, if it don't work they just tell you to do more - it almost seems like they hope you get bored and they can discharge you.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I really wouldn't wait for an NHS physio appt - all they do is give you exercises, not that there is anything with that - but either mine from a couple of posts back, google some or buy a book.
A private physio maybe more helpful and they can do stuff like acupuncture, dry needling, or a more intense massage - it vary s according to NHS trust, but where I am they don't do much beyond a set of exercises, if it don't work they just tell you to do more - it almost seems like they hope you get bored and they can discharge you.

Thanks again. Those exercises you linked are uploaded onto my kindle which is very handy. Way off course today with anything like that. Most I can do is active rest in the form of leg lifting exercises whilst laying down on my back. TENS session good and a helpful call from a nurse offering a course of Naproxen. Thinking about that one.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks again. Those exercises you linked are uploaded onto my kindle which is very handy. Way off course today with anything like that. Most I can do is active rest in the form of leg lifting exercises whilst laying down on my back. TENS session good and a helpful call from a nurse offering a course of Naproxen. Thinking about that one.
Take the naproxen assuming you don’t have any gut issues but ask for omeprazole to take alongside it

Don't give medical advice to a stranger on the internet. While those exercises are very good for someone with a healthy back, it could be very dangerous to someone with an acute injury. I have had a physio nearly yell at me when I said I was attempting certain stretches while (as he realised by I didn't) that my back was in spasm.

Keep moving is the most advice I would give here.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Don't give medical advice to a stranger on the internet. While those exercises are very good for someone with a healthy back, it could be very dangerous to someone with an acute injury. I have had a physio nearly yell at me when I said I was attempting certain stretches while (as he realised by I didn't) that my back was in spasm.

Stranger? How very very dare you. Do you know who I am?

Edit: Forgot emotional illustration: ;)

Last edited:

Fair point. IME though I wouldn't place any great faith in NHS physio - the only reason I do it is to tick the box so I can access other treatments.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've not been red flagged by the GP, so go to a physio, even if just 1 session so they can assess you and tell you what you need to do.

Red flag, is loss of sensation in lower limbs, loss of strength in leg, toilet trouble etc.

None of this then you can go exercise within reason. Bit of a closet expert now, but I'm currently under NHS physio and now on a back rehabilitation course which is showing me all the 'stretches' I should be doing - I'm still tearing around on the bike, but need specific exercises for my back.

You won't regret going, and simple exercises and stretches can alleviate problems.

I didn't get any help post breaking my back, but 3 years later, the NHS physio I saw was great. Full assessment when I went in, worked out my weaknesses and he's given me specific exercises to do. He then referred me onto a rehab programme, so I can learn the stuff I need to do to keep my mobility, and importantly, still ride my bike. I ain't ending up like my MIL who WONT try.

[QUOTE 5461935, member: 9609"]and even with red flag symptoms the NHS prefer to leave you at least 3 month in hope you get better yourself. As a few doctors said to me, your own body fixing your own back is far far better than what any surgeon can do. Intervention seems to be last resort when it comes to backs.

Apparently, so I was told by several doctors, those who allow the time for self healing are usually far better off 5 years down the line than those who go under the knife. Surgery can too often give short term relief with long term chronic problems from the likes of scar tissue,

they made me wait 3 months with red flag stuff, then said there are some slight signs of improvement so off you go.[/QUOTE]
Um, good. All evidence based.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 5461935, member: 9609"]and even with red flag symptoms the NHS prefer to leave you at least 3 month in hope you get better yourself. As a few doctors said to me, your own body fixing your own back is far far better than what any surgeon can do. Intervention seems to be last resort when it comes to backs.

Apparently, so I was told by several doctors, those who allow the time for self healing are usually far better off 5 years down the line than those who go under the knife. Surgery can too often give short term relief with long term chronic problems from the likes of scar tissue,

they made me wait 3 months with red flag stuff, then said there are some slight signs of improvement so off you go.[/QUOTE]

I'd concur. I refused surgery. Consultant said, quite honestly, we can operate now and you'll be up and about in the morning, but you can wriggle your toes now, you might not be able to after surgery. You know operations can go wrong.

Easy answer - I'll wait, and only have surgery if needed. Well 3 years later, no metal work, can still touch my toes, OK I'm in pain, but there is nothing in my back that could stop me (other than part of my L1 missing). I do, however, have to work on my back exercises, more than a 'normal' person would, but it means I can grow old riding my bike.

If looking at how my MIL has deteriorated as she won't try walking more than from wheelchair to chair, hen that's encouragement. We've even had the physio in with her this week - no reason why she can't walk, she won't.

Top Bottom