‘Hot lips’ is no more.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I watched a rerun of MASH and it struck me that the way Major Houlihan was treated would now be considered sexual harassment. Hawkeye and his friends would be in front of tribunals.

yello

I watched a rerun of MASH and it struck me that the way Major Houlihan was treated would now be considered sexual harassment. Hawkeye and his friends would be in front of tribunals.
It is often interesting to watch older programmes for this very perspective.

I liked MASH for Radar and Klinger but the Hawkeye and BJ (?) characters used to sometimes anger me and I'd feel a genuine sympathy for Burns. You were supposed to find Hawkeye funny and cool, to see him as a hero type, but he was in some respects no better than a bully. I could certainly never worship, much less identify, with him. In my defence, I was a young and sincere type. It would be interesting to see how I would think of it today.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I know what you're saying about the TV series but I always like the way most of the characters, especially Hawkeye, Trapper, Spearchucker Jones early on and later BJ (the Swamp Rats), are so anti-establishment.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I know what you're saying about the TV series but I always like the way most of the characters, especially Hawkeye, Trapper, Spearchucker Jones early on and later BJ (the Swamp Rats), are so anti-establishment.
I doubt if it would be acceptable to call a black person 'Spear Chucker' today either. Hawkeye would be out on his arse.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is the correct answer, take an honourable discharge out of petty cash
Half right, the only only person to play the same role.
The actor who played "Spearchucker" Jones in the first series, had appeared in the film.

It is often interesting to watch older programmes for this very perspective.

I liked MASH for Radar and Klinger but the Hawkeye and BJ (?) characters used to sometimes anger me and I'd feel a genuine sympathy for Burns. You were supposed to find Hawkeye funny and cool, to see him as a hero type, but he was in some respects no better than a bully. I could certainly never worship, much less identify, with him. In my defence, I was a young and sincere type. It would be interesting to see how I would think of it today.
Phew! After all these decades I thought I was the only one that had an issue with Hawkeye and BJ.

Top Bottom