Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Specialized Allez Elite

• Boardman Team

• Mekk A1 Pinerolo AL 1.0

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ciar

Veteran
Don't worrie Ciar im just ****ed off this is an important purchase to me and don't whant to spend my savings on somthing that will make me completely regret getting into cycling in the first place. Im truly sorry.

don't be silly mate, but if it's your savings then I really do suggest you visit a couple of local bike shops and try some out, that's a fair chunk of cash, I would be loathe to spunk £1000 on a bike unless i was seriously certain it was what I wanted..

give you an example the last couple of months, i have been looking to pick up and MTB as I enjoy off road with friends, which i normally do on my cx hybrid, it's fine but i want to keep that as my commuter, i am about to invest £550 on a scott scale 970 and trade in my old single speed as well to top up the deal, i have tested out probably 5-6 bikes and it's taken me that long to find one i like, it's got to be good enough to get me out the mud ;-)

OP
OP
B

bruith

Regular
don't be silly mate, but if it's your savings then I really do suggest you visit a couple of local bike shops and try some out, that's a fair chunk of cash, I would be loathe to spunk £1000 on a bike unless i was seriously certain it was what I wanted..

give you an example the last couple of months, i have been looking to pick up and MTB as I enjoy off road with friends, which i normally do on my cx hybrid, it's fine but i want to keep that as my commuter, i am about to invest £550 on a scott scale 970 and trade in my old single speed as well to top up the deal, i have tested out probably 5-6 bikes and it's taken me that long to find one i like, it's got to be good enough to get me out the mud ;-)
unfortunately i dont have that option one bike shop near me and they dont supply evan modest bikes maby a few giants but thats about it the rest are hello kitty and such XD

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Don't worrie Ciar im just ****ed off this is an important purchase to me and don't whant to spend my savings on somthing that will make me completely regret getting into cycling in the first place. Im truly sorry.

All the more reason to have a go at racing on your current bike in my opinion. TBH in a Cat 4 race, the bike is unlikely to be a limiter! Inexperience and lack of race craft will be the biggest limitation. So you can go in with your current bike, see how you get on, see if you enjoy it etc then buy a bike to suit in a few months.

Ciar

Veteran
Yes no local shops isnt going to help, then as Rob3rt said try and do it on your current bike, see how it goes... honestly do that I bet you won't regret holding onto your cash for a bit longer, if afterwards you still need to invest then, i am sure others will have posted on this thread with pointers, wish i could but racing and me = too old & fat >.<

OP
OP
B

bruith

Regular
All the more reason to have a go at racing on your current bike in my opinion. TBH in a Cat 4 race, the bike is unlikely to be a limiter! Inexperience and lack of race craft will be the biggest limitation. So you can go in with your current bike, see how you get on, see if you enjoy it etc then buy a bike to suit in a few months.
I have been researching for about a month now today is the day i buy a new bike i honestly appreciate your opinion and is probably the best but my heart is set on it now so if you have any more bikes to add to my shortlist now would be the time. Thanks again

NotFabian

EACC
you have a pm

VamP

Banned
I am loving the integrated front ends found on the current crop of superbikes but you have to be careful, sometimes the bike either fits or it doesn't and you can't do much about it.

Apparently there's 7,560 possible settings on that front end. I'd hope I find one that works :ohmy:

With a bike like that I'd take it to a performance fitting, and if it couldn't be fitted to me, I'd send it back I guess. Canyon give 30 days to do just that.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Apparently there's 7,560 possible settings on that front end. I'd hope I find one that works :ohmy:

With a bike like that I'd take it to a performance fitting, and if it couldn't be fitted to me, I'd send it back I guess. Canyon give 30 days to do just that.

Yeah the front end might be adjustable but with some of these bikes the length of the top tube just doesn't work, some are long an low, others short but tall.

Not so sure what mine would be considered, I would tend toward short but tall, which suits me as I have proportionally longer legs. Although some may argue a longer frame would let me both flatten out and get over the bottom bracket, my current frame it is more an either/or situation as to get flatter I would have to push the saddle back or bars forward (violating the 3cm rule).

When I work on my position I stick brightly coloured stickers on my joints and then ride on the turbo and video it, then get screen grabs from video editing software at various points in the pedal stroke, connect the dots in paint, and measure the angles.

VamP

Banned
Yeah the front end might be adjustable but with some of these bikes the length of the top tube just doesn't work, some are long an low, others short but tall.

Not so sure what mine would be considered, I would tend toward short but tall, which suits me as I have proportionally longer legs. Although some may argue a longer frame would let me both flatten out and get over the bottom bracket, my current frame it is more an either/or situation as to get flatter I would have to push the saddle back or bars forward (violating the 3cm rule).

When I work on my position I stick brightly coloured stickers on my joints and then ride on the turbo and video it, then get screen grabs from video editing software at various points in the pedal stroke, connect the dots in paint, and measure the angles.

Ah feck it, I'll stick to cross :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
By the way Bruith, don't take my advice to mean very much - the last 3 bikes I have bought have been a:

1996 Peugeot
1916 Humber (yes you read that right)
And
A 1967 Claude Butler!

:laugh::blush:

My 2007 Felt S22 is fantastic incidentally, but I think I'll next have to get something a bit more practical and robust like a Croix De Fer or similar...

Top Bottom