どのような自転車 = what bike in Japanese (to be different)!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Might I throw in a curveball and suggest you consider junior bikes as well? You're only a touch taller than me, so it's a viable option if you want to go down that road. I find a lot of the small ladies' frames still too big.

The Wiggins Chartres 26 might be worth a look at, although it's alloy. Weighs in at 11 kg, will take rack, panniers, guards etc. It has trigger shifters, disc brakes, and - probably a bonus in your neck of the woods given the hillyness - a triple chainring up front and 9 speed cassette on the back.

I have a Wiggins 650 Rouen road bike and have agreed to buy a Chartres 26 from someone on here - ironically (in part) to make riding in your neck of the woods easier when I do head in that direction. The roads out here are just a wee bit... flatter... :whistle:

A cheaper alternative to the Chartres is the Carrera Subway 26, but it is heavier and not quite as well specced.

If the idea of a MTB appeals, then there is the Rockrider 720 from Decathlon. It's not that much heavier than the Chartres (that's down to the suspension fork) and is similarly specced in terms of brakes, shifters and gearing. Only downside is it runs 24 inch wheels rather than 26, and speaking as the owner of a 24 inch wheeled bike, tyres of that size aren't easy to find outside of online retailers.

OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
Reynard thank you - what a great suggestion! Just back from Hargroves where I did a turn in the car park on one of these. https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/specialized-sirrus-elite-2018-hybrid-bike.html It was small frame 11kg (liked the light weight)!! Was going to ring the guy and ask about XS size frames but not this bike - so a child's bike could be the answer.
I had a chat with a girl cyclist yesterday (in that cold wind)! and she raved about hybrid bikes and make sure its a good one (comfortable).

Will browse your other suggestions when head stops spinning! Really appreciate you taking the time. xxx

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not try the ladies version of the Sirrus to get a smaller frame size? Used to be called the Vita. Trek, Giant, Boardman and others do similar bikes in a 'women's specific design'. I'm not surprised that a S men's is too big. Reach is also crucial or you could end up with issues affecting elbows, back, neck. For me, a too big bike, incidentally an XL Sirrus, (I'm a 5'10 woman) contributed to chronic tennis elbow which eventually needed surgery! As I was overstretched with my elbows locked and hands too far apart due to overwide bars.

If the saddle is the right height, your knee should be slightly bent when your heel is on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. You may well not be able to reach the ground when sat on the saddle without leaning the bike

Edit..there's now the ladies Sirrus
https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/hybrid-bikes.html?gender=286

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You'd be mad to replace a good old Reynolds framed steel bike like yours with some horrid modern aluminium or carbon thing. It sounds to me all that is wrong with it is too low saddle adjustment and insufficient maintenance. If you set the saddle at the correct height for your inside leg measurement, riding will be less fatiguing and you'll be able to ride further on your current bike. Fit Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard or Delta Cruiser+ tyres if you don't want to be troubled by punctures. I rode the whole of 2018 without a single flat tyre on my old Raleigh hybrid fitted with Schwalbe tyres..

Reynard thank you - what a great suggestion! Just back from Hargroves where I did a turn in the car park on one of these. https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/specialized-sirrus-elite-2018-hybrid-bike.html It was small frame 11kg (liked the light weight)!! Was going to ring the guy and ask about XS size frames but not this bike - so a child's bike could be the answer.
I had a chat with a girl cyclist yesterday (in that cold wind)! and she raved about hybrid bikes and make sure its a good one (comfortable).

Will browse your other suggestions when head stops spinning! Really appreciate you taking the time. xxx

You're very welcome :okay:

Nothing worse than a bike that's too big. :blush:

The Chartres runs a 44 / 32 / 22 on the front and an 11 - 34 on the rear if memory serves - that Specialized hybrid has higher gearing than my road bike... :blink: Then again, I'm not a terribly strong rider when it comes to hills...

Aside from the Wiggins (Halfords / Cycle Republic), there are also decent 26 inch wheel hybrid offerings from Frog and Islabikes to consider as well.

OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
Why not try the ladies version of the Sirrus to get a smaller frame size? Used to be called the Vita. Trek, Giant, Boardman and others do similar bikes in a 'women's specific design'. I'm not surprised that a S men's is too big. Reach is also crucial or you could end up with issues affecting elbows, back, neck. For me, a too big bike, incidentally an XL Sirrus, (I'm a 5'10 woman) contributed to chronic tennis elbow which eventually needed surgery! As I was overstretched with my elbows locked and hands too far apart due to overwide bars.

If the saddle is the right height, your knee should be slightly bent when your heel is on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. You may well not be able to reach the ground when sat on the saddle without leaning the bike

Edit..there's now the ladies Sirrus
https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/hybrid-bikes.html?gender=286
Thank you! I've shown you the wrong item - I did try ladies small frame.xx

OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
You'd be mad to replace a good old Reynolds framed steel bike like yours with some horrid modern aluminium or carbon thing. It sounds to me all that is wrong with it is too low saddle adjustment and insufficient maintenance. If you set the saddle at the correct height for your inside leg measurement, riding will be less fatiguing and you'll be able to ride further on your current bike. Fit Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard or Delta Cruiser+ tyres if you don't want to be troubled by punctures. I rode the whole of 2018 without a single flat tyre on my old Raleigh hybrid fitted with Schwalbe tyres..
I have to agree but I still find myself torn. Local bike shops have closed and a cyclist freind who has helped me before totally agrees with you. Also - to get 2kg off the weight dieting is another option!! I may not buy - just want ot learn anyway. x

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Cyclists are far too obsessed by bike weight these days. No bike made of Reynolds 531 is going to be "heavy" unless it has steel wheels fitted, and in that case a set of alloys will save a couple of pounds easily without replacing a whole bike.
I've got two almost identical old Raleighs that run identical tyres and have identical gear ratios. One is made of Reynolds 531 and one is made from 501, which is a slightly cheaper and heavier grade steel. The 531 bike is about one pound lighter. When I did some back to back test rides over the same route I found that the lighter bike was just 0.2 mph faster on average speed than the heavier one. Now I could probably lose 10 lbs of body weight, which would cost nothing at all, and would improve my cycling performance to a much greater degree than spending loads on a super-light bike. Unless you are already at a perfect weight for your height and build, the bike is not the thing you should be targetting for weight reduction.

OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
Hooray for wonderful cyclist friends in North Baddesley!!! A quick tweak and it's back to silent perfection. I have, however discovered that mine is a 20in frame so was always a bit big for my 27in inside leg. So - will still look around. A phone call to Halfords: "No you definately shouldn't have a child's bike'! Let's see. x

Well - I climbed aboard a Wiggins large child's bike today in Halfords - felt cramped and not a good fit despite saddle correct height etc. Also had a look at https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/thri...fIQvUlPPkeVPhvUvEFC9voP8RA-nioG0aAv-4EALw_wcB in the Giant shop Southampton (wonderful customer service). The bike I saw has a tubulus tyre system - is that bad/good/any views on it? Lovely comfy bike.

Ah, that's a shame the Wiggins doesn't suit. :sad: Guess the couple or so inches that you're taller than me makes all the difference. :blush:

OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
Regarding weight - I did fill two shopping bags with 2kg of stuff - I'm sure up a hill without that will be easier.... but appreciate your kind comment. xxxxxx

Top Bottom