どのような自転車 = what bike in Japanese (to be different)!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gitensha

Regular
My lovely old steel framed ladies racer (but with normal handle bars and cushy seat) is still going strong after 38 years and since I never lock it someone is bound to pinch it one day then I'll have to buy another!!!

So yes - 'what bike' how did you know I was going to ask that????????

I've read your newbie 'what bike guide' and at 5ft 2in - small frame size I presume... just something lightweight to go for bike rides on and nip to Waitrose. I'm advised to get a hybrid and, "for goodness sakes wear a helmet"!!!!!

Tell me what to ask where and - where to buy an inner tube I can trust???

Home-made carrier pic.
ca.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Inner tubes are much of a muchness, the tyre over it is more important if preventing punctures is your aim. Something like a Schwalbe Durano Plus

Bike wise, maybe something like a Giant Alight. You may need a S or XS frame, try your local bike shop. E.g. For Giant http://www.giant-southampton.co.uk/gb

What's your budget though? Be cheaper to buy a decent d lock to prevent theft

Last edited:
OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
Thank you! A lock makes sense but I nip round all the shops and leave it outside so locking over and over would drive me mad. Those bikes in India are great - just pull the key out and locked! I may have just been lucky but the rust has been a good deterrant. A new bike may be much more comfortable to ride and I may wish I'd upgraded years ago so may go for it anyway. xxxx

That is a lovely bike.

You can get locks that are fastened permanently to the bike which make things a bit more convenient: they lock the through the back wheel and make it hard to ride off. I have one on my dutch bike but that is 40 kilos and as long as a Smart car, so that may be part of the reason it works...

As an old bike fan I would say cherish what you have and buy a decent lock. The thing with new bikes is they take a fair bit of riding to get used to and there is no guarantee a new one is going to be significantly more comfortable than your old faithful.
That said, once the new bike idea starts to work it's way into your mind it's hard to ignore it. Sometimes a new bike can make you appreciate what you had before.

OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
That is a lovely bike.

You can get locks that are fastened permanently to the bike which make things a bit more convenient: they lock the through the back wheel and make it hard to ride off. I have one on my dutch bike but that is 40 kilos and as long as a Smart car, so that may be part of the reason it works...
Didn't know that!!! Thank you! x

OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
Furball you are so right about the new bike idea worming it's way into my head!! Small frame, carbon, hybrid is as far as I've got. Will nip up to cycle shop for test ride then, if needs be, can purchase quickly. The main appeal is lighter weight and better gears which might help me get further then my current 30 mile limit. Fitted frame lock - yes!! Have also tried to find ways of ageing a new bike - fake rust effects???xxxx

Furball you are so right about the new bike idea worming it's way into my head!! Small frame, carbon, hybrid is as far as I've got.

Can I have the old one then? It'd be perfect for my wife (unfortunately a bummer to get it ti Germany, but I can dream)

Have also tried to find ways of ageing a new bike - fake rust effects???xxxx

Something like this?
44605769134_08908e7634_h.jpg HBB_Railcar_28 by Andy in Germany, auf Flickr

May not be very convincing on carbon though...

OP
OP
gitensha

gitensha

Regular
Lol! I know my bike is a good one but the chain falls off a lot and I had a 'moment' today trying to change gears. My legs are not straight when pedal furthest down but I do need to reach the ground so don't want to raise the seat. How is a frame size measured? Wonder if my frame size is wrong all these years! I can see a carbon ladies small frame for sale v. cheap on Ebay - could I buy that and get one built or would that be mad?
Will pester the nice bike shop man soon so I'll stop asking questions eventuallyxx

vickster

Legendary Member
Carbon doesn’t make the best all round bike. Can’t fit a proper pannier rack or often mudguards. Building a road bike rarely if ever works out cheaper than a whole bike, New or used

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Furball you are so right about the new bike idea worming it's way into my head!! Small frame, carbon, hybrid is as far as I've got. Will nip up to cycle shop for test ride then, if needs be, can purchase quickly. The main appeal is lighter weight and better gears which might help me get further then my current 30 mile limit. Fitted frame lock - yes!! Have also tried to find ways of ageing a new bike - fake rust effects???xxxx

I would also ask the shop to look at your current bike. You said about the chain falling off a lot. Resolving this may be a simple and cheap remedy. It may help you look at your current bike with new eyes, but even if you decide to buy a new bike, you would have a tidy and practical bike as a back up/alternative.

Top Bottom