0208 phone numbers scams... anyone else affected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Isn't 0208 one of the London codes? Therefore, any call will be dodgy.
Ha! The 020 8660 exchange that the genuine number is connected to is half a mile from where I’m typing this.

ozboz

Guru
What I have found odd. Is that for a couple of weeks is that I have benn getting txt from server saying I have multiple voice messages , I havnt got a message service , I’ve had this number over a year , and like others if I am not sure of number on screen , no answer but I do check the number on line to try and find out who it is

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nearly every day for a while I got a call sometime between 1200 and 1300 from a variety of unknown numbers, some landlines and some mobiles. Every time they cut off the call the instant the answering machine came on. They seem to have given up as not had any for a couple of weeks tho’ for part of that time I was not at home anyway.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ha! The 020 8660 exchange that the genuine number is connected to is half a mile from where I’m typing this.
I was tempted to contact him and advise him but his business doesnt show an email and I don't want to risk phoning him

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I can send him 10,000 calls if you want that might get his attention
????

Salar

A fish out of water
I missed a call from a Bristol number a few months ago, didn't recognise the number but googled the number to find it was a cafe and something on farcebook popped up saying that somebody had hijacked his number.

C R

Guru
Yes, I am assuming someone, maybe in China, is cloning his number.
I say China as that is apparently where a lot these scams originate
India, judging by the accents. If I am bored I try to string them along and see how long I can waste their time; unfortunately they seem to be learning, and they hang up on me fairly quickly, shame.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
India, judging by the accents. If I am bored I try to string them along and see how long I can waste their time; unfortunately they seem to be learning, and they hang up on me fairly quickly, shame.
You’re probably feeding useful data into their AI engine. :smile:

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

Yes, I am assuming someone, maybe in China, is cloning his number.
I say China as that is apparently where a lot these scams originate
As others have said it's not China, they control the telecom system very strictly there, it is very difficult to get calls in & out, you get blocked very quickly for the slightest infringement.

Top Bottom