1/2" x 1/8" chain produces chattering noise - uh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ah. Proper fixed hubs have an outer, slightly smaller diameter reverse-threaded section for the lock-ring. If yours isn't one of those then that lock-ring must be off an old-fashioned bottom bracket which would screw the same way — right-hand — as the sprocket. A proper lock-ring would be about 33mm inside diameter excluding the thread. If it's not then expect to measure about 35mm.

Edit: it does look like a reverse thread, clockwise to unscrew.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks. It's hard to measure exactly, but I'd say it probably is about 33mm. Also, if I lay the new sprocket on the ring, it's definitely too big to engage with that thread - there's a gap of at least a couple of mm between the inside of the sprocket and the outside of the threaded section. So maybe it is a reverse-threaded lockring section after all. I had a quick go at shifting it c/w, but it's being as stubborn that way as t'other. I've adde more plusgas and left it for awhile while I go off & have a cup of tea and a biscuit and a scratch of the head...

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks. Yeah, me too. But even that won't shift the bugger. But how about this for idiocy? During my last attempt I suddenly noticed a thread on the other side of the hub. It is a flip-flop after all! So I stuck the new sprocket on that side, and Bob's my uncle! No chattering! So, thanks to all and away I go...

Top Bottom