1/8 v 3/32 Chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
1 fits single speed etc and is a bit stronger, one works with derailleurs!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I doubt there's really much difference in strength until you get to NJS stamped stuff. IMHO.
1/8 seems cheaper but the 1/8 on mine is noisier than the 3/32 on my other bike (but the 3/32 might be a more expensive chain), other than that, a chain is a chain.
I doubt one is 'better' than the other.

GGJ

Veteran
Track cyclists use 1/8" chains for the extra strength.
For fixed gear road cycling and single speed 3/32" chain is the most common and more than enough unless you have legs like Chris Hoy

Most road going S/S and fixed bikes are fitted with 3/32" chainrings, rear freewheels and sprockets and although it is possible to fit a 1/8" chain you're better sticking to the width already there.
It's not possible to fit a 3/32" chain to 1/8" chainrings and rear sprockets

Citius

Track cyclists use 1/8" chains for the extra strength.

1/8 is no more or less strong than 3/32. In theory 3/32 is 'stronger' as there would be less width between the plates. Trackies use 1/8 more out of tradition as much as anything else.

jim55

Guru
[QUOTE="GGJ, post: 3637978, member: 36271"

Most road going S/S and fixed bikes are fitted with 3/32" chainrings, rear freewheels and sprockets and although it is possible to fit a 1/8" chain you're better sticking to the width already there.
[/QUOTE]

Are they! Every ss and fixed rider I know rides 1/8 as it fits sprocket on rear , 3/32 is too narrow

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Use the same width chain as your chainwheel & sprocket.
Quite a few now come fitted with 3/32, both are available. (My Felt came with 3/32.)
The only strength difference will be in the thickness of the chain side plates.

OP
OP
SSmatty

SSmatty

Thanks for the help fellas.
I asked because I am buying a new chainset and sprocket.
I have a 3/32 chain spare and the chainset is likely to be 3/32.
I think I will go 3/32.

Top Bottom