1 Month In Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Treat drivers the way you would expect to be treated .

Sounds simple enough but today I could have filtered past 4 cars at a junction and waited at the front. They would of then had to wait for me. Instead I waited for an extra 30 seconds in the que. Yes it slowed me down a little but Kept everyone happy!!

Recently, and this morning especailly due to the ice, drivers round here have given me loads of time & room. I always put my hand up to thank them. I'm the first to give a bad driver the finger, so I guess I should be equally expressive with my plaudits.

OP
OP
R

Robson3022

Generally I find that cyclists accelerate away from lights faster than cars, i.e. they wouldn't have to wait for you. Looking at the bigger picture, you may actually be causing more inconvenience to those cars behind by sitting in the traffic you than you would going to the front. If you go to the front, for example, you plus 4 cars might make it through due to your nifty acceration, if sit in the queue, you plus 3 cars might make it through as you can then only accelerate as fast the car in front of you, you are also subject to a delay from the car in front of you in order to leave braking room!

If you are referring to them overtaking you again, well that is a non issue provided you don't just sit in primary beyond the junction.

I am NOT saying people should filter universally, or otherwise, just making an observation, by filtering or not filtering, you are affecting yourself (safety wise) much more than you are affecting drivers.

I agree with what your saying and your right but this particular junction I look at it as if I were a driver and a cyclist did it to me. I think its a great advantage being able to see both sides of the coin.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Great post! :bravo:
I'm into my second winter of commuting, started knowing nothing about cycling.
One learn and keeps learning.
Don't forget to check your brake pads for wear.
Had a flat yet?

OP
OP
R

Robson3022

Going to give the bike a little service this week as its feeling the effects of being used so often.

I refuse to discuss your last question you never know who is listening!!!

Top Bottom