1 problem and 1 question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy69

Regular
Just got back from my first 15miler. Only got my bike yesterday, the gears have been smooth up until halfway through my ride. The front gears started cluncking when peddling and noticed the chain was rubbing against the thing that pushes the chain over. The chain also wouldn't move onto the correct cog that I was asking it to. I played around with the screw/wire that goes into the gear changer and it is a bit better but not very smooth and takes a while to move to the gear. Is it worth taking it back to halfords again or can I correct it myself?
Or should I take it to LBS to have a look, although this might cost me a bit?

My question is, what's the best way to clean my bike? Hose it down? If I take it back to halfords it needs to be cleaned. Thanks

Fubar

Guru
Hi Andy69, I would take it back to where you bought it in the first instance and tell them what you told us - you are right about the screws however they probably just need fine tuned. There are lots of products to clean your bike with (sprays etc), I would avoid using a hose personally - I find baby/cleaning wipes quite useful for cleaning, I have access to a ready supply ;). Regards, Mark

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
I'll ring halfords and tell them I'm coming down. Just sounds a little 'grindy' when riding and the front gears don't seem right. Don't flick over straight away and sometimes the chain sort of doubles up on itself and gets stuck in the mechanism nearly snapping it!

MaxInc

Since you just bough the bike I would take it back for peace of mind but it is also a good opportunity to learn how it works adjust in the future. During the first hundred miles components will bed in, cables will stretch a little and thing will go out of sync which is somehow to be expected. Going out of adjustment so quickly however, speaks highly about the competence of the mechanic that installed the bike for you.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLQk29enhRQ

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
Since you just bough the bike I would take it back for peace of mind but it is also a good opportunity to learn how it works adjust in the future. During the first hundred miles components will bed in, cables will stretch a little and thing will go out of sync which is somehow to be expected. Going out of adjustment so quickly however, speaks highly about the competence of the mechanic that installed the bike for you.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLQk29enhRQ

Thanks for that, I'll have a look and a play before I take it. I could take my time and hopefully tune it correctly

Top Bottom