1" stem riser?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Martyboy

The steerer is 1" and the stem is 1" and the riser I bought is 1 1/8" so a shim would work at the steerer end of the riser but I'm at a loss as to how I can get the 1" stem to fit over the 1 1/8" riser!
Jeezo, I seem to have everyone as confused as I am!!!

I'd say you can't. You need a new stem, one that is 11/8. I wouldn't try to force the old one on. It surprises me that it is a 1" steerer.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
To put a slightly different spin on this I wouldn't be very happy doing any serious MTBing with such an stem extender. Fine for road and train use but I would be worried about it on anything else.

So there is no such thing as a 1" riser?

I had a quick look last night but couldn't find one for an Ahead set. There was also a few discussions on strength, which AFS mentions above. There was nothing conclusive though just people expressing reservations. Depends what you want to use it for.

How far do you need the bars to come up? A shorter steeper riser stem (not a stem riser like you have), coupled with some riser bars might be another option. Also, if you haven't had the bike long, you can expect a certain amount of adaptation as you get used to the position, you don't want all of your weight on your bottom but it to be spread between arms, bum and legs. I mention it, though you might have already gone through that decision process.

Edit: If I found piccies of the right model, I see it has riser bars but quite a flat stem.

OP
OP
M

Martyboy

@ angelsolofish. Cheers, but I will be mostly using the bike for road use and if I ever en up off road it won't ne anything extreme, in fact I can guarantee it will be very tame!

OP
OP
M

Martyboy

Here is a picture of my stem and handle bars, if anyone can suggest how I can raise my bars an inch or two I would ne very grateful. Remember my steerer tube is only an inch diameter and my bars, after a quick measure, seem to be 7/8inch diameter!
I see you can buy adjustable stems or steeper rising stems, but will the clamps fit my steerer tube and bars?
Thanks again for everyone's input so far!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Here is a picture of my stem and handle bars, if anyone can suggest how I can raise my bars an inch or two I would ne very grateful. Remember my steerer tube is only an inch diameter and my bars, after a quick measure, seem to be 7/8inch diameter!
I see you can buy adjustable stems or steeper rising stems, but will the clamps fit my steerer tube and bars?
Thanks again for everyone's input so far!

No picture :sad:

OP
OP
M

Martyboy

Whoops!
d3de8fef.jpg

You need this chart to assess the rise and length of stem you need to give the handlebar position you want.

stemfit.jpg

and you need one of these shims. If you can't get one, I have one I can send you. You also need the stem to accept 25.4mm handlebar diameter. Double check that with a caliper if you can but that's what it looks like, however as it's a 1" steerer, take nothing for granted.

Then just choose a new stem a 11/8th one.

OP
OP
M

Martyboy

You need this chart to assess the rise and length of stem you need to give the handlebar position you want.

stemfit.jpg

and you need one of these shims. If you can't get one, I have one I can send you. You also need the stem to accept 25.4mm handlebar diameter. Double check that with a caliper if you can but that's what it looks like, however as it's a 1" steerer, take nothing for granted.

Then just choose a new stem a 11/8th one.

Cheers for that. I think this is the way I'll go, and I would be grateful for that shim as the link is showing out of stock.
Thanks again

Top Bottom