1" stem riser?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martyboy

Hi,
I have recently purchased a B'Twin rockrider from Decathlon, and I am very happy with it, except for the handle bar height!
I bought a 1 1/8" stem riser to try and raise them, but alas it was too big!
Now I am wondering whether it is possible to get 1" stem risers or is there any other way of raising my bars?
Thanks
Marty

You can buy a shim, in fact your LBS might just give you one if you ask them. The shim will enable you to fit a 11/8 stem to a 1" steerer. Some stems even come with them in case.

OP
OP
M

Martyboy

Hi and thanks for your reply.
I had already bought a 1 1/8" riser and yes I can see how a shim would help with attaching it to the top of the forks but I can't see how i would then be able to attach the "clamp" holding the handle bars as it's diameter is only 1" and the riser is 1 1/8". I did have a go at it and I didn't look like it would fit without some extreme persuasion!
Confused!!!

I read that as your steerer from the forks is a 1" one and you'd bought a 11/8 inch stem. If so the shim will do the trick. If that's not what you meant, then you don't need the shim.

If you mean the stem diameter for the handlebars then that's different. I would think the handlebar diameter of the Rockrider is 25.4mm and you could have bought an oversize stem for handlebar diameter 31.7, which would still be 11/8 at the steerer end. If you have then I don't think you can shim that. Options would be, return it or buy some oversize bars. If I read the spec right on the Decathlon website, then it has steel handlebars, so a nice oversize alloy bar would be a decent upgrade and not a difficult thing to change.

Zoiders

Hang on a moment chaps...are we not mixing quill stem and A-head up?

Rising a quill is pretty simple, it's an allen key job unless you want to go higher than the limit, then you need an extension which you can get from Decathlon.

1" A-head is still out there but not many peeps still make a frame with one.

OP
OP
M

Martyboy

I must apologise for not makin myself very clear, it has been over 20 years since my last bike, which was a BMX!
I'm not 100% on all the termInology so I'll try again to explain the best I can!
The tube that comes up through the frame which steers the forks is only 1" diameter and there is a "clamp" that clamps onto to it by way off tightening 2 Allen bolts which is of a similar diameter ie 1" This clamp has 2 ends the other of which clamps onto the handle bars by the same method.
Now I bought a 1 1/8" stem riser which sits very loose onto the tube from the forks as they are only 1" but I can see how how a shim would fix this, but the clamp which holds the handlebars at one end and used to clamp onto the forks tube at the other is only 1" diameter, so how would I be able to fit this over the new end of the stem riser which is 1 1/8" in diameter?
I hope I have made myself clearer this time!
Thanks

I must apologise for not makin myself very clear, it has been over 20 years since my last bike, which was a BMX!
I'm not 100% on all the termInology so I'll try again to explain the best I can!
The tube that comes up through the frame which steers the forks is only 1" diameter and there is a "clamp" that clamps onto to it by way off tightening 2 Allen bolts which is of a similar diameter ie 1" This clamp has 2 ends the other of which clamps onto the handle bars by the same method.
Now I bought a 1 1/8" stem riser which sits very loose onto the tube from the forks as they are only 1" but I can see how how a shim would fix this, but the clamp which holds the handlebars at one end and used to clamp onto the forks tube at the other is only 1" diameter, so how would I be able to fit this over the new end of the stem riser which is 1 1/8" in diameter?
I hope I have made myself clearer this time!
Thanks

This is the bit I can't grasp. Do you have a link or picture of what you mean?

OP
OP
M

Martyboy

198125e3.jpg

OP
OP
M

Martyboy

This bit is only an inch in diameter and the stem riser I bought is 1 1/8" in diameter hence the reason I can't get this bit to fit back on the riser.

Zoiders

[QUOTE 1530060"]
Strange. I've got a Rockrider. Mine is definitely a 1 1/8" steerer.
[/quote]Lot's of price points on the R/R though is there not?

Could be last years model if it's quill, this year they seem to all be threadless apart from an unbranded one they sell.

Let me just check a few things. What you've pictured is a stem, a riser stem but a stem. This clamps onto your forks at one end, on what's called the steerer and your handlebars go on the other end. It's a straight replacement for what you had before. What you had before looks the same but without the rise, is that right?

On the bike it looks like this

asset_24821765.jpg

It doesn't look like this

Classic_road_quill_stem.JPG

So, apologies for my lack of understanding but can you just clarify what we are talking about before we carry on? Tah :biggrin:

Top Bottom