1 week later and WOW!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Great stuff!

Stevec047

Über Member
Excellent story and it's brilliant to hear how from a negative in terms of you health cycling has helped.

There is alot to be said about cycling and health, not only physical issue like yours but also mental issues. I think it's time the medical profession start to look at reducing drug use and persuading cycling.

Keep up the great work and make sure to post regular updates would love to hear how you are progressing.

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

I've been resting for the last two days, just been working on the bike making sure it's clean and working properly. I need to get a decent "track" pump as the wee one I have for riding with can only get the tyres pumped up well enough for me to get home.

I actually got to ride in all the kit I've bought and it feels VERY weird being seen in public with stuff that tight on me! Felt much nicer with my Fizik saddle on the bike as well as having proper riding gloves.

It is nice to have something I can nerd out over and it's going to help me reach a goal I've set myself and want to achieve.

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Managed to get out on the bike again today and for the very first time I didn't have any problems on any part of the short route I've been doing.

My rear tyre is too low in pressure and I've not got a pump that can put the pressure up enough for my weight. I'm really happy with my SPD's and I'm automatically twisting my foot out every time I come to a stop. I've also had some Shimano Tiagra STI's arrive yesterday, so I will get LBS to install them so I don't have to use the really old style Sora STI's

I've been doing so minor core work to help me feel more planted while on the hoods. I think I just need to be able to get onto some better quality road surfaces and it will come back to me quick enough.

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Bloody hell, it's not taken you long to get bitten and start buying stuff !! Well done.

I've put on a new Fizik Antares saddle which made the bike feel so much better to sit on and I just wanted the more modern style Shimano STI's, as they are IMO a much better design and looking product. I don't think I will get anything major for a while. I personally feel the Cannondale CAAD8 frame is worth upgrading as I get more into cycling. It's just like I am with my car, I have an ideal list of upgrades that follow a simple set of rules. I would like to have a nice set of 105's or Ultegra full groupset etc on the bike eventually, but that would only happen if I want to go from a 9 speed casset to a 10 or 11 (which I just don't see any real gain from me doing that with my goal to be doing club level cycling)

It's nice being able to sit in a warm garage and just tinker away on the bike. It reminds me of when I was in my teens and constantly modding my '94 Claud Butler.

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Today I was finally able to get myself a good quality track pump for my tyres and my god it really takes some effort to get it up to a high pressure :pump: Got out on the bike to just see how it felt (just put my cleats on) and ended up doing the same route I normally do and I was a bit more confident on the bike.

Finally got some degreaser for the chain/cassette today, so I'll finally try giving the bike a decent clean so I don't get a new crank tattoo every time I go on the bike. :hyper:

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

It's just very frustrating being so physically weak, but yet remembering vividly how strong I use to be.

I'm finding the front end is very twitchy atm and I don't know if it's down to the length of stem or height I have the bars. My Cannondale is a 56cm frame, which technically should be a bit too small for me, yet when I look at how the riders on GCN have their bikes, they really have the saddle set up so height compared to the frame. I understand that they are ex pro's and will be way more flexible than me (while I am at my current weight). I find the riding position is good for me (I have raised my bars by about 20-25mm) and I'm not stretched out to the point where my arms are locked.

My father use to own a really nice Falcon from 1992/3 (well he still does but it needs TLC) and I never had a problem with it feeling twitchy etc, but I was much younger when I was borrowing on the odd occasion my main bikes were out of action.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
...I've also had some Shimano Tiagra STI's arrive yesterday, so I will get LBS to install them so I don't have to use the really old style Sora STI's

Not wanting to piddle on yer chips, but...

The new tiagra (4600 series) is 10 speed so probably wont work with sora being 9 speed. Unless you got older tiagra which is 9 speed and should work.

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Not wanting to piddle on yer chips, but...

The new tiagra (4600 series) is 10 speed so probably wont work with sora being 9 speed. Unless you got older tiagra which is 9 speed and should work.

Yeah I got the 9 speed version as a replacement for my Sora STI's. I really don't like the placement of the "button" being right where my grip wants to be. Also I find the style and design much nicer with the Tiagra. I don't like how they have the little red markers on the top, which is why I really like the 105 shifters. I think my ultimate aim for the bike is to make it run 105 gear train, but I will keep the FSA crankset as it's really smooth and quiet.

Yesterday I gave my bike a really thorough clean. I managed to get my rear cassette looking really flawless and generally got the gear train looking much better.

Yesterday was a bit amazing for me as I went out on my bike in the morning, clean the bike in the afternoon and went out for a walk in the evening. I'm not doing anything impressive on the bike, I do a lap around my housing area which is enough for me to be breathless and my heart/legs really feel it. Because I am building up from a very low baseline and I have to be really careful until I get my nerves treated this month. Yesterday my legs really wanted to keep moving and the rest of my body felt alive.

I'm not planning on riding today as I ended up doing 4 days in a row on the bike and I really should keep things very safe and do three on and one off.

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Got out on my bike just now. It's getting much easier than before. I decided to keep at a more consistent cadence and I managed to get up the slope that usually gets my legs much easier. My legs feel just like they have done enough and I am still having to catch my breath back after I get off the bike.

While I won't be checking my average speed for any 10 mile TT's soon, I do think I am getting a little bit better as each week goes by. I think by the time I get back on my bike after my spinal op, I will need to wear my helmet as I will be able to go outside my housing area and get onto a better quality road.

I think just keeping things steady and to push myself just enough that my legs feel a bit wobbly when I get off and my heart/breathing rate is raised up enough that it takes me several minuets to recover afterwards.

Thankyou to all the members who have shown their kind support and wellwishers.

Top Bottom