1 year Australia tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3615gregoire

Regular
I am going to tour Australia with my partner and our dog. We will arrive in Melbourne mid-October. I am starting looking at the route we want to take: we rather go around than cut through the middle and we want to avoid the hottest locations / times. Any advice? Thanks!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@3615gregoire : Try the "Touring Australia" sub-forum in the Bicycles Network Australia online forums:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=6ad7d318e6e26be7cc08234848ff3f25
There's heaps of local knowledge there.

Also, welcome to the CC forum.
:welcome:

aferris2

Guru
You will be starting at the beginning of summer at almost the most southerly point. As you travel north it's only likely to get hotter. Head into the mountains to get cooler weather (and back to the coast to defrost!). The far north is VERY hot in mid summer. It's also the wet season so many national parks will have limited access.
Head towards the west will get you into the "outback" fairly quickly. Head up the east coast if you want the more populated areas. Don't forget about Tasmania though - it's a wonderful place.
We bought the Lonely Planet book (back in 1999) which has loads of suggestions. Make sure to visit the Information centres whenever you see signs.
Assuming you will be camping, take advantage of the national parks. Dogs need to be kept under control (they love roos, but roos don't like them).
Have a great time! Only about 2 years before we do the same...

robing

Über Member
I don't think your dog will enjoy travelling around in 40C+ heat in a trailer being pulled by bike, if that's your plan.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
At 40C all a dog wants to do is sit in the shade, so a shaded trailer with a bit of breeze from your movement sounds good to me.

tonyg52

Not all National Parks allow dogs, best to check.
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/conservation-and-heritage/care-for-parks/dogs-in-parks
State forest are ok with dogs.

Not all National Parks allow dogs, best to check.
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/conservation-and-heritage/care-for-parks/dogs-in-parks
State forest are ok with dogs.
Good point about national forests.

It's likely he will want to cycle through some national forests, like along the Great Ocean Road. You'd be legally ok driving through with a dog, as long as you didn't let it out of the car. A bike trailer that is enclosed might be OK, but the dog would have to stay in there the entire time you are within the park, and they are typically quite large, so on a hot day that could be a real problem. That is even if they would allow a dog in a bike trailer at all.

Also dogs are allowed only in some state forests. Best to research when route planning, and check sites to find out the rules for any parks you want to visit or will pass through.

Lee-M

If I remember rightly , which is nearly 25 years ago , I wouldn't underestimate the distances between towns even in what might be called well populated areas . And miles and miles of nothingness to look at . You might find your dog will be bored out his mind.

hoopdriver

Guru
Don't take a dog if you're planning to ride around Australia. Just don't. Forget that idea. For starters, the advice above, regarding dogs in National Parks, is quite correct - some of them won't allow to bring a dog even if you promise to keep it in your car (they more or less assume you're lying). What's more keeping a dog penned in a bicycle trailer, as you pedal around in the scorching hot weather, will probably earn you a tense interview with the RSPCA, and quite possibly a fine or confiscation of your dog as that will likely be seen as animal abuse - this assuming that you have already (as noted above) begun the complex procedure of importing a dog into Australia in the first place. You need to have started that a couple of months ago at the latest for an October departure. And not just paperwork, but multiple veterinary visits as well. And let's not forget that it will be required to spend at least ten days in quarantine once you're in Australia before it is released into your care.

The distances in the outback are long and very challenging. Do not for a moment underestimate that, especially down the coast of Western Australia if circumnavigating the continent is your idea. I rode down that coast in the height of summer, with daily temperatures ranging between 46-50C and found myself having to carry as much as 23 litres of water on my bike. And you plan to tow a dog in these conditions? Or have it trot along beside you? For hundreds of miles? On blistering hot bitumen? How much water are you planning to carry for the dog? And food?

It sounds to me like you really need to re-think a lot of this.

Even if you're planning to tour by car, re-think the dog angle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom