1 yr old in bike seat - helmet ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
[attachment=5738:Estherbike.bmp]

Nervous first topic here !

My daughter turned one yesterday, and with the afternoon off work I picked her up from the childminder, on my bike.

She loved riding in the bike seat as we went on to pick her brothers up from school. I don't think I have ever ridden as carefully or slowly as I did yesterday. We didn't have a bike seat for her brothers so this is all new to me.

My wife is very nervous about Esther not wearing a helmet, though.

We bought the smallest bike helmet we could find in Decathlon but even then it is way too big for her. I could probably just put it on over the hood of her coat, but she has a little baby chin and could easily pull the strap off if she wanted. I think her bonce is nowhere near 50cm even..

Anyone else had this dilemma ? What age did your little ones start wearing helmets ? Thanks !

Piccy attached... Estherbike.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Definitely use a helmet from the first time!

My children both rode in a seat from an early age and both wore a helmet everytime. The thought of falling off or dropping the bike and them banging their heads on the floor as a result doesn't bare thinking about.

This picture shows us on a family bike ride in a chilly January which looking at the date of the pic makes the little one exactly 10 months old.

kidhelmet2.jpg

As you can see the helmet has a fleece hat underneath both for warmth and to improve the fit.

kidhelmet.jpg

I think the majority of kids helmets are quite cheap and as a result don't fit particularly well but IMO they are better than nothing and in most instances will help prevent the lumps and bump that are caused by the beginers falling over at slow speeds.

Don't be put off taking your child in the seat, they will most likely love it and it is a great introduction to cycling for them and engenders a healthy attitude to cycling as transport for later life. I used to cycle 6 or 7 miles over a bl**dy big hill to get my son to a Gymtots group once or twice a week and he would even fall asleep in the seat on the way home afterwards while we hurtled down hill at up to 20 mph.

The other benefit is the extra weight on the back makes it a really good work out for you. We used to play a game where he would help out on the hills by putting his hands on my back and pushing really hard till we got to the top. He is five now and laughs about this now he has worked out the truth!

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thanks very much for that cracking reply - with lovely pictures too.

I will be sure to get the helmet on her despite her protests. This is a girl who would not wear a sunhat on the beach so I am anticipating some trouble. The hat on underneath is probably the best way to make it fit.

It certainly is hard work with the extra weight on the back - thankfully it is fairly flat on the routes I need to use with her.

I notice your seat just has the y-strap - I added a waist strap to mine for extra peace of mind - is the y-strap enough ?

Thanks again.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I notice your seat just has the y-strap - I added a waist strap to mine for extra peace of mind - is the y-strap enough ?

I was never worried that the 3 point harness was inadequate but always made sure it was adjusted to be snug according to the clothing worn on the day. The worst thing you may have trouble with is shoe security. I had to ride back to recover kicked off shoes on a number of occasions, the worst was when arriving at Gymtots at the bottom of the hill in Broadbottom then having to ride back up to the big junction at Mottrom lights where I found it in the middle of the road being run over by arctic wagons (it was ok though!). Make sure shoes are done up tight and strapped in to the foot rests securely.

U

User169

Haven't used helmets with child seats. It's not at all common here in NL and I guess we adopted local practice.

Our youngest (8m) had his first cycle trip this weekend...

2nteh3s.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Thanks very much for that cracking reply - with lovely pictures too.

I will be sure to get the helmet on her despite her protests. This is a girl who would not wear a sunhat on the beach so I am anticipating some trouble. The hat on underneath is probably the best way to make it fit.

It certainly is hard work with the extra weight on the back - thankfully it is fairly flat on the routes I need to use with her.

Thanks again.

Pfft. Wait until they're 3½ and 18kg!
P1050481.JPG

I'd probably put one on her, as I do with my son, even though I don't often wear one myself.

Top Bottom