10 days in France, pre-book campsites?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On a Bike - No - the Michelins used to help a lot for finding sites but there were always a lot more than marked on the maps anyway

Rymo

How much are people paying to pitch their tents for the night approx (in France)?

Got a rough plan for a week in France over Easter time but plan on just setting up camp in fields and being gone by early morning

How much are people paying to pitch their tents for the night approx (in France)?

Got a rough plan for a week in France over Easter time but plan on just setting up camp in fields and being gone by early morning

Most French municipal sights are around 4 euro for the pitch & 2 per person, maybe more in touristy areas. Personally, I don't see the point in wild camping in France unless you really need to.

OP
OP
J

J-Lo

Also, ive never been a ferry with just my bike so whats the deal with panniers? Obviously i will take my bar bag off which has EVERYTHING of value, but there will still be cooking equip, clothes etc in my panniers. It seems as if leaving them on the bike is the only option but a little psrt of me thinks its a bad idea?

I will be on my own (so cant have someone watch the bags if i want to move in the 8 hours lol) and have front & rear panniers aswell as camping equip! This is the st malo ferry.

Cheers

Rymo

So around 8-10 euro for 2 people per night sharing a tent, yeah this is cheap so will depend upon how the financial situation is at the time, maybe do 'one on one off' style we'll see

So around 8-10 euro for 2 people per night sharing a tent, yeah this is cheap so will depend upon how the financial situation is at the time, maybe do 'one on one off' style we'll see

A few of the municipal sights may not be open by easter, private sites tend to be around 15 euro (pitch + 2 people) depending on the region. Where are you planning on going?

Gretah65

Also, ive never been a ferry with just my bike so whats the deal with panniers? Obviously i will take my bar bag off which has EVERYTHING of value, but there will still be cooking equip, clothes etc in my panniers. It seems as if leaving them on the bike is the only option but a little psrt of me thinks its a bad idea?

I will be on my own (so cant have someone watch the bags if i want to move in the 8 hours lol) and have front & rear panniers aswell as camping equip! This is the st malo ferry.

Cheers
I took the St Malo ferry during August last year and like you I was on my own. Took the valuables off and left everything else on the bike. No problems.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If you've never been before, worth trying campsites just a little bit in from the coast (a couple of miles) as well as those on the coast. You can compare and contrast the site and the demographic it attracts (fewer teenage kids inland, out of sight of the sea sometimes). I must say, I do remember Brittany as seeming to have a village campsite at every turn!

I must have chosen a route through Brittany that didn't have a village camp site at every turn....

There is no hard and fast rules about the availability of camp sites. Sometimes you are spoiled for choice. Other times you are pedalling in hope of finding one before dusk.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Most French municipal sights are around 4 euro for the pitch & 2 per person, maybe more in touristy areas. Personally, I don't see the point in wild camping in France unless you really need to.

Sometimes it isn't possible to find discrete spots....

Camp sites are so cheap that wild camping doesn't save a significant amount of money.

Rymo

A few of the municipal sights may not be open by easter, private sites tend to be around 15 euro (pitch + 2 people) depending on the region. Where are you planning on going?

Brighton - Dover/Calais - Paris - Dieppe - Newhaven - Brighton
something along those lines over about 5-7 days is the rough plan for around early April
Really want to do it as self sufficient as possible with minimal cost

yello

Most French municipal sights are around 4 euro for the pitch & 2 per person, maybe more in touristy areas.

Yes, some sites are more expensive in popular seaside areas in high season but, generally speaking, the municipals are good value.

Just this morning, I was reading the French equivalent of the CCT's mag. In it, a couple of French women currently on a world tour commented that campsites there were too expensive to they "door-to-door". I'm assuming that meant they knocked on people's doors and asked if they could stay! If I'm right, maybe that's acceptable practice in France. You could always give it a go!

wintonbina

Über Member
Most/quite a few sites don't open till April. We tend to go over 1st to book personally because there's @40 of us! but single campers can tend to get in without no hassle. Enjoy your trip, Tony

asterix

Comrade Member
Bordeaux is amazingly light on campsites. Could only find one, abt 6km outside.

Best way to find 'em in big places is to ask at the Tourist Office.

Top Bottom