10 mile flat commute - Dutch or Hybrid?

Which do I want?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LordGrover

Regular
Planning to begin going by bike a couple or three days a week - route here: CLICK.
I'm not interested in joining the lycra-wearing, funny shod grands prix, just a relaxing ride to work with a little time to myself.

Like all good novices, I started off at Evans Cycles - it was that or Halfrauds. My 'spec' was 10 mile commuter, mostly cycle track, must have mudguards and I fancied hydraulic disc brakes. I was pointed in the direction of their own Pinnacle Lithium 4 which seemed to be pretty close to what I wanted. No 2014 XL left in stock so would have to wait for the 2015 model - which is bright yellow. Not too happy with the colour so I started looking about and came to the conclusion it's probably not an ideal choice for a 'non-cyclist'. Firstly, it's quite arse-high/ head-down which I suspect may give me gyp with my neck and wrists (I'm an olde farte). The other thing that crossed my mind was derailleur gears - not sure that level of complexity is justified - Shimano Nexus and Alfine hub gears seem to be well regarded and require minimal maintenance.

From there, a Dutch bike seemed to make sense. The relaxed riding position, practicality and minimal maintenance makes them very attractive to me. While they all come very well equipped including hub dynamo, lights, lock, stand, luggage rack, etc. (part of the reason they're perceived to be 'heavy') man maths and feature creep has settled in big time and I was about to splash over £800 on a Gazelle Chamonix C8:

ChamonixC8_H_titaniumgreymat.ashx

Happily, this appears to be a fallow period in the cycling scene as most vendors are/have run down 2014 stocks and awaiting 2015 models. I'm grateful for small mercies - had it been in stock I'd probably be £800 lighter and a little miffed I'd not properly looked at the alternatives.

I visited a local bike shop (Bike Station) - very helpful and knowledgable. They'd just returned from a bike show and seen what appears to be just what I want(ish). It's a Marin Fairfax SC2 IG:

15-fairfax-sc2ig_1152_648_80_s.jpg

The only thing that may break the deal is rim brakes - I'd much prefer rollerbrakes or hydraulic discs. It's £300 cheaper than the Gazelle so for that I can get the bits which are 'missing'; mudguards, lights, rack, etc and hopefully some change. They've offered to substitute the stem for an adjustable so I can get the more relaxed position I prefer. I really like the idea of the Gazelle model but don't know if it's compatible; CLICK.

Well done for making it this far. :smile:

TLDR: I've confused the heck out of myself and now I need strangers on the Internet to decide. What do I want?

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
I hate the Internets - now it's trying to make me buy this: Revolution Shadow

revolution-shadow-13.jpg

...and worse/better still: Marin Fairfax SC6 DLX

15-fairfax-sc6-eq_1152_648_80_s.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think I'd be looking for something like those in your first post, with the more-tested Nexus 8 and a guard, rather than Nexus 11 and belt drive. I'd also be looking for springy steel (local roads are rough and I have to consciously keep my speed down on my aluminium bike on some stretches else the rattling breaks things) and a seat angle more like 69 degrees, but I suspect I'm not going so fast as most people here - typical moving average 12-14mph for short-medium journeys.

G3CWI

Veteran
I like the flexibility of my hybrid. On my commute I vary my route quite a lot and often include an off-road section or two if I'm in that sort of mood. It's also light enough to carry which is also very useful as I have one route option that demands a carry over a rail bridge. The Dutch style bike is probably not as flexible - but no doubt it's comfy. It really depends on what you envisage doing with it now and in the future.

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
I think I'd be looking for something like those in your first post, with the more-tested Nexus 8 and a guard, rather than Nexus 11 and belt drive. I'd also be looking for springy steel (local roads are rough and I have to consciously keep my speed down on my aluminium bike on some stretches else the rattling breaks things) and a seat angle more like 69 degrees, but I suspect I'm not going so fast as most people here - typical moving average 12-14mph for short-medium journeys.
I too would prefer steel forks but not found one yet.
Ideally hub gears, hub dynamo, disc or roller brakes, steel forks, mud guards, chain case/guard, adjustable quill stem - any pointers gratefully accepted. :smile:

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
I like the flexibility of my hybrid. On my commute I vary my route quite a lot and often include an off-road section or two if I'm in that sort of mood. It's also light enough to carry which is also very useful as I have one route option that demands a carry over a rail bridge. The Dutch style bike is probably not as flexible - but no doubt it's comfy. It really depends on what you envisage doing with it now and in the future.
I'm expecting to use it for commuting and short local trips; can't envisage me being a 'pleasure' cyclist tbh.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ideally hub gears, hub dynamo, disc or roller brakes, steel forks, mud guards, chain case/guard, adjustable quill stem - any pointers gratefully accepted. :smile:
I don't know their current models, but as well as the ones you've tried, I'd be looking to see if Foffa, Fahradmanufaktur, Light Blue, On-One, Cube, Civia, Breezer, Winora, Diamante, Kalkoff, Stevens, Staiger or Shand have anything. Sadly, such is the market that UK dealers for some of those are few and far between. Good luck!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

Not steel fork but this could be worth a look:-

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/nework-700-city-bike-id_8245154.html

If you get something that can take big tyres and you don't pump them up too much then the ride comfort should be fine. On the front with a tyre in the 700x35-range you probably don't need more than 35-50PSI

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
Wow! Thanks both for some great ideas.
Will look into the options. :thumbsup:

G3CWI

Veteran
I'm expecting to use it for commuting and short local trips; can't envisage me being a 'pleasure' cyclist tbh.

I understand where you are coming from. You may find that cycling is more enjoyable than you expect. I commute by bike but I travel nearly ten times as far as the direct route most days as it's rather good fun. I would not dream of doing that if I went by car.

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
:laugh: That's where we differ. I'm a petrol head, when I had my TVR my homeward commute may've been 50+miles on a sunny day with the roof off!
GT86 is almost as much fun too.

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
Took a Chamonix for a spin earlier. Really liked the position but found the ride relatively harsh compared to the Heavy Duty tried earlier - I dread to think what modern UK-style racers are like! I prefer the fat-tyred ride. :blush:
Decided on the Gazelle Orange - haven't decided on exact model yet. Waiting for best deal we can work out. The C7+ is within budget but longer leadtime, C8 is over budget but available much sooner. If they're able to offer a little sweetener I'll go for the C8. Or maybe I'll stick with the C7+ - prefer the matt black anyway. Ho-hum.

Top Bottom