10 mile TT advice, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianMac

I am fairly new to cycling and my introduction to TTs was a 25 mile TT - hated it. Now I have done 4 10 mile TTs and absolutely loved them. I like the concentrated effort involved.

My question, before I splash out and buy a bike, may be foolish...is there any style or brand of TT bikes that are better for short (10 mile) TTs than longer TTs?

Thanks,

Ian

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not really.

Unless you are riding 12 or 24 hour time trials where you might want a bit of comfort for the length of time in the saddle a TT bike for a ten will be the same as for 100 miles.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I can't add any more than that: 12s and 24s are something else but for all other distances the same bike will do you. And it might do you for longer distances too with some tweaking.

Once you've done a few more 10s you might feel like having another crack at a 25.

OP
OP
I

ianMac

Great, thanks. Some more 10s coming up ... then we'll see on the 25s.

Got bike - 2nd hand Planet X Stealth! Great name, great looking bike - now it's up to me!

david k

Hi
whats a good time for a 10 mile tt? ive been for a ride today and completed my fastest 10 mile (during a 16 mile ride) of 34 minutes, i would like to break 30 minutes

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
What kinda time are people at TT's doing the10 mile in? Best/worst?

Depends on the course and conditions very much, you really need to compare against other riders in a given event. In general club cyclists record times between 35 minutes and 21 minutes on my club's (slowish) course, 21 minutes would be very good though. Course record (set by a professional cyclist who was a good time-triallist) was 20 minutes. I've done 23:44, slowest 28:34 in very windy conditions.

UK record for 10 miles is 17:57 I think.

Nosaj

As Palinarus says so many variables when comparing times as each 10 course is different you could do a a low 20 minutes at one and ride another in exactly the same conditions and put in a late 20 minutes. My best time was 27.39 on a slightly shorter course 28.30 on the full 10 and a bit course.

Best ride this season (from others) on the course have been a 22.30 most of our good club riders come in around are aound 25-27 minutes but our course is slightly hilly (undulating more than hilly) and slightly longer than 10 miles. Our TT secretary reckons knock another 2 mins off the times on a fast course.

If you have a ten course and you break 30 minutes then you are averaging around 20mph which is a good goal for an absolute beginner. Just riding that same course over a period of a few weeks will see the time come down.

david k

Hi
just been for a ride and the best 10 miles was 33 minutes (did nearly 20 overall) was pretty flat but windy. im not sure i can knock much off that time though it killed me

Spartak