10 mile TT advice, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I like the idea of time trials as I rarely have the time for huge rides I could train for tt's in the time I have!

Nosaj

just been for a ride and the best 10 miles was 33 minutes (did nearly 20 overall) was pretty flat but windy. im not sure i can knock much off that time though it killed me

I thought, (and actually said something very similar to a club member) when I completed my first TT this season. I thought how in the hell do I break 30 minutes (on our course that requires an average speed of 20.5/6) a couple of weeks later I put in a 29.49 I was absolutely shagged and at the time I thought how in the hell and what do I have to do to put in around 25 minutes which would get a top 5 position. The very next week I knocked 1 minute 19 seconds off my earlier personal best and posted a 28.30. The conditions were very good and I thought I would never get near that time at all.

Last nights TT was very blustery on the way out and typically the wind died at the turn so there was not much assistance on the way back. Most of the people who usually put in a time around my personal best were posting around late 29 early 30 minutes but I put in around 28.30 (give or take ten seconds or so as I have yet to receive my official time)

My goal for the end of the season was to break 28's (we still have to the end of August) and if I had the perfect conditions again, I feel I could be knocking on for a very late 26 if I really, really pushed it. At the very start of the season I was thinking exactly the same as you. There is no way I could go that fast but now I am thinking perhaps I could and because I have gained that belief perhaps I might.

I ride compact double road bike but with clip on aero bars.

Nosaj

I like the idea of time trials as I rarely have the time for huge rides I could train for tt's in the time I have!

I am in a very similar position to you my training consists of Sunday Club Run, Weds TT, Friday Spin Class and Saturday pootling with the little un on a MTB or on my road bike around hog hill (depending what she is doing) only 1 long run a week.

david k

Hi
I thought, (and actually said something very similar to a club member) when I completed my first TT this season. I thought how in the hell do I break 30 minutes (on our course that requires an average speed of 20.5/6) a couple of weeks later I put in a 29.49 I was absolutely shagged and at the time I thought how in the hell and what do I have to do to put in around 25 minutes which would get a top 5 position. The very next week I knocked 1 minute 19 seconds off my earlier personal best and posted a 28.30. The conditions were very good and I thought I would never get near that time at all.

Last nights TT was very blustery on the way out and typically the wind died at the turn so there was not much assistance on the way back. Most of the people who usually put in a time around my personal best were posting around late 29 early 30 minutes but I put in around 28.30 (give or take ten seconds or so as I have yet to receive my official time)

My goal for the end of the season was to break 28's (we still have to the end of August) and if I had the perfect conditions again, I feel I could be knocking on for a very late 26 if I really, really pushed it. At the very start of the season I was thinking exactly the same as you. There is no way I could go that fast but now I am thinking perhaps I could and because I have gained that belief perhaps I might.

I ride compact double road bike but with clip on aero bars.

i have a mountain bike, appolo, only joking! i have a carrera vanquish with clipless which has made a difference
my legs dont hurt as much as i thought today, the best thing i can do to shave of seconds is lose some weight, im about 15 and a half now, i recon losing 8/9lbs would make a difference, i feel strong enough

Nosaj

i have a mountain bike, appolo, only joking! i have a carrera vanquish with clipless which has made a difference
my legs dont hurt as much as i thought today, the best thing i can do to shave of seconds is lose some weight, im about 15 and a half now, i recon losing 8/9lbs would make a difference, i feel strong enough

Losing weight will no doubt help (up a hill but not down) but there are a couple of riders at around your weight putting in good times in ours. You will shock yourself as to the improvements you make over a period of say six - eight weeks by just simply turning up and riding a TT each week. Unconciously you will get better at pacing it, you will learn where you need to be on the route to avoid all the potholes, braking points, turn in points and how to corner better each time, where to really push where to conserve a bit for a longer incline etc etc. By riding the extra ten miles (+ some milage for the warm up) you are doing additional training and by doing that you will lose some weight anyway.

We have all sorts turn up at our TT's some on the latest bling machines, some on MTB's, some super fit people, some not so super fit (i'm in that bracket) and times from 22 minutes to 45 minutes. The majority are down to earth, ordinary people and one guy who has knocked 2.5 minutes off his time is about a stone and a half heavier than you and we do have an undulating course.

OP
OP
I

ianMac

Did a 10 two nights ago and posted 26:24 in blustery conditions. The new TT bike is definitely faster than my road bike with clip on bars but it is also a helluva lot more comfortable! I can stay in the aero position for the route. In fact, it's so comfortable and I am going to do a 20 mile TT next week!

Top Bottom