10 Speed Chain Lesson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Sounds like there is story behind that lesson....:rolleyes:

gbb

Legendary Member
Never done it myself with a 10 speed...but i guess someone's tried ;)
Anything up to 8 speed, always done it since i was a kid. Would i recommend it..no. But the side plates are heavier, wider so there's more material to bite on.
I can still see myself as a kid, hammer and nail or small drift and some nuts, disconnecting and reconnecting chains :whistle: :biggrin:

LOL, I put a 105 chain on a mates bike and closed it, all felt good (no stiff link) then I noticed it was on the outside of the dérailleur :blush: and had reopen and close it, not surprisingly he got sub 100 miles before it snapped and had to fix it with a quicklink (I told him KMC made better chains :whistle:)

Davidc

Guru
They do seem to, I never knew that :blush:

They do specific ones for 9 and 10 speed as well as the 6, 7, 8 versions. never used 10 speed myself but showed a friend how to take a chain off and put it back on a few weeks back and used them, as I'd heard bad tales of what can happen using the shove it out and then back in again approach!

I've always pushed the pins in and out with no problems at all, for about 45 years, but I may have to behave myself when I'm forced to go above 8 speed

Edit: I've changed the link to the correct page.

the snail

Guru
I've always pushed the pins in and out with no problems at all, for about 45 years, but I may have to behave myself when I'm forced to go above 8 speed

I don't think there's a problem with 8 speed chains, but on the narrower ones the rivet ends are peened over so they are wider than the holes, and once the rivet has been pushed out, it will be loose if you refit it. Or something like that...

Top Bottom