10 speed chain life expectancy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Whats everyones experience of 10 speed chain life ?
Rode last summer on the original KMC chain, very regularly cleaned and lubed.
That means chain off, clean with WD40, blast all the crud and excess WD to kingdom come with a very high pressure airline, let it dry, soak in oil for maybe 1 hour, allow to dripdry, wipe and refit to the bike. It can't get much more care than that.
That may seem a bit OTT, but in my workshop, its no problem. Its all done while i'm working...usually every week.

Changed it early this year for a FSA Team Issue, again very regularly cleaned and lubed. Switched to Finish Line Wet, which i like for its silky feel when lubricated.
But...there's always a but :biggrin:...the FSA chain is measuring at 1/16 wear already and i've probably done 1000 miles maximum.
(Thats using Sheldon Browns method...1/16 over 12 links)

Chainrings look good, no real evidence of wear, the rear cassette sprockets that get most regular use are beginning to show slight wear on the rear of the teeth.

I'm going to change the (slightly)worn sprockets on the cassette and fit a new chain before anything wears too much.

The FSA as far as i can see is a split bush type, so there shouldnt have been any problem for the lube to be getting into the pins etc...yet it doesnt seem to have performed very well.

So....is there much difference if i buy a good chain, or am i expecting too much.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stick with the KMC's

I suspect you are 'deep' cleaning it too much and removing too much lube. I'm a lube, wipe, wipe sort of person...TBH it works well. I may remove the chain once in it's 6 month life on my commuter for a 'deep' clean.

Mr Pig

fossyant said:
Stick with the KMC's.

Not an expert but they do seem good. I bought a few after they were recommended to me on here. The Shimano chain that came with my bike was worn out within a couple of months. The KMC I fitted after that it still not showing any wear at all despite having done more than double the miles.

I wash my chain out too. I use white spirit, then water and a little detergent, then dry in the oven. I don't have an issue with washing all the lube out, you just put it back it! ;0)

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Stick with the KMC's

I suspect you are 'deep' cleaning it too much and removing too much lube. I'm a lube, wipe, wipe sort of person...TBH it works well. I may remove the chain once in it's 6 month life on my commuter for a 'deep' clean.

Normally, i'd probably agree with you, but the chain is soaking for maybe an hour in an oil bath, then hung to allow the excess to run off. While wiping and cleaning the excess off, its being flexed and manipulated a lot. I'd really really have thought all this would get the oil right into the chain. Even then, i tend to spin the cranks once the chains on to assist the oil getting into the links and pins (not under load of course)

The KMC got the same treatment too.

TBF, the KMC did seem to perform better (longer) than the FSA, so i may well go with your advice.

So anyone ? what mileage do you expect from a 10 speed chain ? Perhaps 1000 miles maximum is normal ?
No wonder the manufacturers are making ever lighter chains....its money in the bank in the long term :blush:
Thats not a rant BTW...:becool:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I had 8 speed Shimano, Sunrace, KMC chains all last about 1000miles, and that was with less of a clean then what yours got.
How i clean my chain is a wipe, wipe, oil(finish line wet) leave(not for too long), spin pedals, wipe, then go.
Now my fixed chains get more abuse, and they last longer:becool: But they are 1/8th so that does help:biggrin:

Mr Pig

I don't think anyone could give a mileage. It will depend on how heavy you are, the kind of terrain and of course some people are just plain hard on stuff. A mate of mine stands up and grunts up hills. I never do that, I drop the gears and wind.

dodgy

I track my chain as a 'piece of equipment' in SportsTracks, so I know precisely how far any chain has gone. I get roughly 760 miles on 10 speed Ultegra chains until they fail the 0.75% wear measurement. I use the wipe method, my chain and cassette is always sparkling prior to any ride.
I've never tried KMC, but there is a thread on BikeRadar that indicates there might have been a bad batch of 10Speed KMC recently as they've been breaking at the plates.

Marin Maniac

dodgy said:
I track my chain as a 'piece of equipment' in SportsTracks, so I know precisely how far any chain has gone. I get roughly 760 miles on 10 speed Ultegra chains until they fail the 0.75% wear measurement. I use the wipe method, my chain and cassette is always sparkling prior to any ride.
I've never tried KMC, but there is a thread on BikeRadar that indicates there might have been a bad batch of 10Speed KMC recently as they've been breaking at the plates.

760 miles on a chain?!

Bloody nora, thats not a lot of miles from a chain!

I hope I get more from my 9 speed Dura Ace!

dodgy

Marin Maniac said:
760 miles on a chain?!

Bloody nora, thats not a lot of miles from a chain!

I hope I get more from my 9 speed Dura Ace!

I know, it's quite low. But I was 14St 6LBs for most of the mileage, I've dropped down to juse under 14St now and most of my rides are pretty hilly.
Maybe I'll get nearer 1000miles with a combination of a KMC chain (do I dare buy one with the curren scare stories!?) and slightly lower weight as I will be 13.5Stone pretty soon.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
I don't think anyone could give a mileage. It will depend on how heavy you are, the kind of terrain and of course some people are just plain hard on stuff. A mate of mine stands up and grunts up hills. I never do that, I drop the gears and wind.

Interesting point...i do honk hard up hills (if you can call them that), but i do get out of the seat and blitz the 'inclines'. I can see that would put real pressure on the chain.
If 1000 miles'ish is normal, no problem...but dont think i'll get a FSA Team Issue again.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
My KMC chain gave out on me sunday before last with a bang, squashed testicles and a battered elbow, after maybe done 1500 miles, with some racing on it. And hills. And i'm a big bugger. Replaced with an (expensive) SRAM item, fingers crossed.

Never had these problems with 9 speed campag......

Top Bottom