10 speed chain life expectancy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monnet

Guru
1000 miles!?! Blood and sand! If that were me I'd be changing chains every 5 weeks. I'm with numbnuts, I get about 6500miles out of a chain and I ride pretty hard at times (honking up hills, chaingang, etc.)

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
monnet said:
1000 miles!?! Blood and sand! If that were me I'd be changing chains every 5 weeks. I'm with numbnuts, I get about 6500miles out of a chain and I ride pretty hard at times (honking up hills, chaingang, etc.)

If thats 10 speed you're using to get 6500 miles, please tell ...i want one :smile:

Mine get tossed every 2 months max, sooner if the shift gets rough, I don't bother measuring them, but they do get cleaned and lubed at least twice a week no matter what. Mind you I'm doing between 800-1500 miles a month now

KMC X10 SL (Ti & Gold) Chain, Dura Ace cassette, Rotor Q Rings, Sram Red Mechs.

Mileage includes general rides, club rides, chain gangs and racing

dodgy

It would be interesting and useful if people were to post the brand and type of chain they are using as well as the mileage.

monnet

Guru
gbb said:
If thats 10 speed you're using to get 6500 miles, please tell ...i want one :smile:

Shimano 105's and Ultegra. Plenty of love and care and they do last. I posted elsewhere about a Top Velo review a while back which said they'd got 10 000km out of a 105 chain. It was still running fine and was only just at the 1% stretch point, although they admitted it could be plaited and the aim of the test was to put as many miles through it as possible.

Top Bottom