10 speed chains what is the difference between road and mtb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badger8v

Being a newb to modern cycling I think I have made a major cock up.
I bought a 2013 Giant TCX cyclocross but struggled with the road bars.
I asked a so called expert and was told that a flat bar conversion was easy so to fund the project I sold the bars and 105 shifters.
I am now told that the rear derailleur will have to be changed to a short cage MTB model because the pull is different on the flat bar shifters.
Will the pitch of the road chain work with a 10 speed mtb derailleur or am I changing crank and bottom bracket too?
Turning into a bit of a nightmare tbh
Hope someone can help

MikeW-71

Veteran
Chain is exactly the same.

The rear mech is relational to your gearing. Short mechs support high gearing 27-28 tooth on back where as long mechs support low gearing and can go up to 33-34 tooth.

If you have not changed the cranks and cassette as part of the conversion you should be fine BUT stick with Shimano or look at Microshift (compatable with) and you should be fine.

If you start mixing brands you can get problems with the gears between changes as they have different pull sizes so the chain will not index properly as it going to far/not enough each pull of the trigger.

OP
OP
B

badger8v

looking at the short cage shimano zee as long as they are compatible with Deore 10 speed shifters, Thanks for the input chaps

Being a newb to modern cycling I think I have made a major cock up.
I bought a 2013 Giant TCX cyclocross but struggled with the road bars.
I asked a so called expert and was told that a flat bar conversion was easy so to fund the project I sold the bars and 105 shifters.
I am now told that the rear derailleur will have to be changed to a short cage MTB model because the pull is different on the flat bar shifters.
Will the pitch of the road chain work with a 10 speed mtb derailleur or am I changing crank and bottom bracket too?
Turning into a bit of a nightmare tbh
Hope someone can help
You've already been told that a chain is a chain, that's correct. A chain's "speed" simply refers to it's width which is unrelated to pitch. A 10 speed chain will work on any 10-speed cassette and so on for 9, 11 or whatever.

However, Shimano MTB derailers are the problem. Up to 9-speed, both road and MTB derailers were compatible with each other. That includes shifters. As from 10-speed on, and branded as DynaSYS, Shimano's MTB and Road components are no longer compatible. If you thus want to fit flat bar shifters to a MTB derailer, you have to get the road shifters as opposed to MTB shifters. Flat bar road shifters are available.

Top Bottom