10 speed to 11 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Myers

Hi, I have Mavic Aksiom wheelset on my Cube Agree GTC Pro 2013, got a 10 speed cassette, would the freehub accept an 11 cassette?
Thanks.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If there is a spacer behind the cassette then yes

but will the shifters work?

I presume the op is upgrading to an 11-spd groupset,if not it's a bit pointless.

Although presumably an 11-spd shifter would be able to move a 10-spd mech across all 11 cogs:unsure:,depending if Shimano has kept the pull ratios the same of course:rolleyes: .And also if a 10-spd mech can accommodate an 11-spd chain.

It's all a bit:wacko:.

OP
OP
Chris Myers

Chris Myers

I've worked out it will cost about £160 for the 11 speed shifter, cassette, chain and medium cage derailleur. I was planning on changing the cassette from my 11-28 to 11-32 anyway.

The arm is longer so pulls more cable

Drago

Legendary Member
I've used all sorts front mechs from various manufacturers with different speed systems and despite dire warnings of only using the mech specific to that particular system they've all worked perfectly. Unless proved otherwise I regard front mechs as generic items.
Alas, I've had the odd minor gripe, most notably with trying 10 speed mechs on 8 speed set ups - the cage is a fraction narrower, which is fine on 10 speed with the 'half-a-click' positions on the brifter for trimming the cage position as the chainline moves, but on 8 speed the difference means it can never be quite adjusted so it'll go right through the range without chain rubbing. It functions, but its not quite perfect.

Top Bottom