10 speed to 11 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im tempted but i am not sure of the benefits of 11 over 10 speed for a mere mortal like me as i doubt the extra gear either end is going to make any differance to me in terms of staying on top of a perfect cadence .

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
11 speed is so overrated...............
Considering the narrower chain/sprockets/chainrings and corresponding increased wear rate, I'd want to have someone else paying for the replacement parts, and a team mechanic to install them.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As far as I can see, for us "normal" people, there isn't much point.
However, if you have a disc brake bike, like my Genesis Croix de Fer, and want to upgrade the brakes to full hydraulic, then you do need to get an 11 speed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Considering the narrower chain/sprockets/chainrings and corresponding increased wear rate, I'd want to have someone else paying for the replacement parts, and a team mechanic to install them.
Sprockets and chainrings are not any narrower, just the overall width of the chain. And I've never experienced increased chain wear on any system upgrade from five speed right through to ten.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Sprockets and chainrings are not any narrower, just the overall width of the chain. And I've never experienced increased chain wear on any system upgrade from five speed right through to ten.
I suppose that could be true with respect to 10 and 11 speed if the width reduction is achieved by making the side plates thinner and keeping the rollers the same width. In that case, the chain will be more vulnerable to damage, unless the materials are made stronger. In my opinion, for practicality, longevity, robustness and value for money, most non-competitive cyclists are best off with 8 speed.

I suppose that could be true with respect to 10 and 11 speed if the width reduction is achieved by making the side plates thinner and keeping the rollers the same width. In that case, the chain will be more vulnerable to damage, unless the materials are made stronger. In my opinion, for practicality, longevity, robustness and value for money, most non-competitive cyclists are best off with 8 speed.
How so I run a 50/38/28 12-23 10sp ok the cassette isn't cheap but not overly expensive I get upward of 7-8000 miles from it so upto a years riding, I can also fit a 12-27 but prefer the 12-23, the 28th inner isn't used much round here but there are one or two hills it helps with should I go that way on. I have a range from 32-110" with almost any conceivable gear in between, something I never could do on an 8sp setup.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
How so I run a 50/38/28 12-23 10sp ok the cassette isn't cheap but not overly expensive I get upward of 7-8000 miles from it so upto a years riding, I can also fit a 12-27 but prefer the 12-23, the 28th inner isn't used much round here but there are one or two hills it helps with should I go that way on. I have a range from 32-110" with almost any conceivable gear in between, something I never could do on an 8sp setup.
I suppose it is personal preference really, and my preference is for maximum life and robustness. Also, as I've ridden single speed and fixed for years, I'm maybe less bothered by the size of the gap between gears than some people, I merely adjust my speed and effort to suit whatever the terrain throws at me.

If you are interested, there is a table that gives spacings and sprocket thickness etc. As you can see, going from 8 to 10 speed on Shimano means losing 11% of the tooth thickness, and a similar amount on the chain roller thickness. The other issue is that increased cassette width means more dishing, leading to a weaker rear wheel.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

If you are interested, there is a table that gives spacings and sprocket thickness etc. As you can see, going from 8 to 10 speed on Shimano means losing 11% of the tooth thickness, and a similar amount on the chain roller thickness. The other issue is that increased cassette width means more dishing, leading to a weaker rear wheel.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html
I am aware of the differences, its how I know 8 and 9 sp sprockets are pretty interchangeable, I look to get something like 3,000 miles from my chains (all weather) and the last cassette I changed had no appreciable wear after about 3,000 miles (10sp).

Attachments

• 20150326-44074407.png
    20150326-44074407.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Chris Myers

Chris Myers

Hi, I have Mavic Aksiom wheelset on my Cube Agree GTC Pro 2013, got a 10 speed cassette, would the freehub accept an 11 cassette?
Thanks.

A mate of mine tried it with the Mavic Aksioms and it wouldn't work, needs a new cassette body, problem is solved however as I've ordered a Cannondale Synapse
105 {11 speed, 11-32 cassette} on the cycle to work scheme :-)
N+2 now

Postmanhat

I've got the Cube Peleton Race, which has a 10 speed Deore 12-32 cassette, everything else is 105. If all you're after is the extra climbing gears, Could just get one of those instead?

rovers1875

Veteran
I have to ask why re you looking to change is the 10 speed worn out / damaged ? I have the 2105 Cube GTC SL with the 11 speed cassette, which as others have said it is excellent stuff. But my other bikes have 10 speed and I must admit when riding I would never notice any difference. So my question is why go to hassle / expense of all the changes what are you hoping to gain?
(And I'm with Lonestar, How did we ever manage to ride with only 5 gears and on steel bikes)

Ajax Bay

Guru
You could go 11-32 ten speed, if you changed your rear derailleur to a medium cage one.
It works. It's not terribly elegant

Why is this arrangement not elegant? What are your elegance metrics? Are there demerits for a medium or long cage? Does using anything more than a 27 largest sprocket also earn demerits? Does a beehive cassette get brownie points? Is a compact cranka non grata? I take it triples nullify any other positive scores achieved. More of (not very elegantly named) Funkweasel's background philosophy required.

sidevalve

Über Member
An interesting exercise in engineering but TBH why ? For 1 more sprocket ? Surely it's simpler to build up [or get built up] a 10sp cassette to suit your wants.

Top Bottom