10 speed to 11 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
An interesting exercise in engineering but TBH why ? For 1 more sprocket ?

Marginal gains in situations where it matters. Riding to work every morning or going on the weekend clubrun it makes no odds. Suffering like a dog on the Tourmalet when you're trying to hang on to the autobus and avoid elimination from the Tour the optimum cadence on every gradient change and at every speed can make all the difference.

And of course we use it due to the trickle down effect and the fact that is no more complicated or unreliable than a five speed system.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Said that about 6-7-8-9 and 10sp

@cyberknight If I could keep my triple, the thought of a 12-25 sounds very nice.29.3-110"
Horses for courses , everyone's legs and terrain they ride are different as is their riding style .

An interesting exercise in engineering but TBH why ? For 1 more sprocket ? Surely it's simpler to build up [or get built up] a 10sp cassette to suit your wants.
Not really, I do most of my riding on a.38x12-23 its not really an issue round here, I am pretty much setup as I want, it took me a while, if I need lower gearing, I just change the inner ring to a 26 and failing that the rear to a 12-27, besides campy do an 11sp triple so why not shimano.

@cyberknight I know, as I just said most of my riding is on the the 38 front, its does all the hills there are here. a couple of short sharp ones but nothing to write home about,

However it would put the 23 ring in a slightly better position on the 38th to where it is now, its not 100% happy, being on 38 front middle and rear position 1 on the cassette, 2 would put it slightly better.

Last edited:
@Sideways Cycling besides I have no issue stripping components really, changing brifters, mechs ect.. is a none issue with and its not difficult, and yes every single upgrade of an extra gear I have seen a benefit, I am not always faster but riding becomes more enjoyable, or has done so far, so I guess what I am looking at really is 1up front with the rear to cope with most of what I do, in practise not really feasible as you will be pushing the chain to the extremes.

OP
OP
Chris Myers

Chris Myers

I have to ask why re you looking to change is the 10 speed worn out / damaged ? I have the 2105 Cube GTC SL with the 11 speed cassette, which as others have said it is excellent stuff. But my other bikes have 10 speed and I must admit when riding I would never notice any difference. So my question is why go to hassle / expense of all the changes what are you hoping to gain?
(And I'm with Lonestar, How did we ever manage to ride with only 5 gears and on steel bikes)

I live in N.Wales, I also have COPD due to smoking for 25 years(cycling made me give it up) and there are some tough long hills around here, I could just try a 11-32 cassette with a medium deraileur but the jumps in gears would be noticable hence going to an 11 speed.

Top Bottom