10 years since I bought a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
As the title, it’s 10 years since I bought my last bike (Planet X Kaffenback 58” kitted out with new disc brakes and Shimano 105. I also have a slightly older PX titanium with the same geometr). I’ve not done much cycling for a couple of years since getting a dog but I’m currently finding some time to get back into it.

I’d like something with electronic gearing and disc brakes but nearly everything I’ve seen is £3k+.

Any ideas? I’m 6’6” but the PX 58” fits me ok. I’d rather not have carbon or aluminium

vickster

Legendary Member
As the title, it’s 10 years since I bought my last bike (Planet X Kaffenback 58” kitted out with new disc brakes and Shimano 105. I also have a slightly older PX titanium with the same geometr). I’ve not done much cycling for a couple of years since getting a dog but I’m currently finding some time to get back into it.

I’d like something with electronic gearing and disc brakes but nearly everything I’ve seen is £3k+.

Any ideas? I’m 6’6” but the PX 58” fits me ok. I’d rather not have carbon or aluminium

Ti, look at PX again or Dolan or even Spa if on more of a budget :smile: Not sure what there is in steel with Di2 or etap

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No useful advice but I was looking at my RideWithGPS maintenance log recently and noticed that my Spa Steel Audax's (my main bike) 10th birthday in a month or so. Our bikes could have a party.

I have bought a Brompton in the meantime tho.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Go second hand as its a full on buyers market. Just got a very nice hybrid Ridgeback for 50 notes. Only needs a service.

With Di2?

Gillstay

Über Member
But the OP wants electronic gearing…

I am aware of that, but used the example of the £900 Ridgeback that I bought to give an example of how cheap some bikes are going for.

I was trying to help with a clear example. I feel that unless you meet/know the person its hard to judge what model of bike would suit them.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Actually, £2,999 will do…https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/holdsworth-helm-sram-rival-axs-titanium-road-bike
If you're buying new, for the most part, and you haven't said what your budget is, either you'll have to spend more (at least from the 'big' titanium brands) or cut back a bit. Electronic shifting will not be cheap.

Top Bottom