100,000 signatures needed to change Snickers to Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ha ha - did they really? Did they think that brought balance to their message?
Nestle Rowntree has been banned by a council from handing out Yorkie bars following complaints that its advertising campaign was sexist.

“Representatives from the firm were handing out Yorkies to men only in Liverpool city centre when a female council worker made an official complaint.”

“‘The Yorkie team applied to give samples, but they did not inform us they would only give them to men,’ said a Liverpool City Council spokesman.

“‘We think Yorkie bars should be for girls as well so we asked them if they would mind not discriminating and give them to everyone. They refused and we asked them to leave.’

“Yorkie brand manager Tomas Vesely said: ‘The campaign is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. However it seems Liverpool City Council does not understand this and has banned us.’

https://veethemonsoon.wordpress.com/2004/07/02/nestle-uks-yorkie-is-not-for-girls/

main-qimg-7d268fdf245e6e5391ba3818a00ece91-c.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
Nestle Rowntree has been banned by a council from handing out Yorkie bars following complaints that its advertising campaign was sexist.

“Representatives from the firm were handing out Yorkies to men only in Liverpool city centre when a female council worker made an official complaint.”

“‘The Yorkie team applied to give samples, but they did not inform us they would only give them to men,’ said a Liverpool City Council spokesman.

“‘We think Yorkie bars should be for girls as well so we asked them if they would mind not discriminating and give them to everyone. They refused and we asked them to leave.’

“Yorkie brand manager Tomas Vesely said: ‘The campaign is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. However it seems Liverpool City Council does not understand this and has banned us.’

https://veethemonsoon.wordpress.com/2004/07/02/nestle-uks-yorkie-is-not-for-girls/

View attachment 348628

Unreal. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
,In this time of austerity and cuts, someone in the carncil still has time to harass people handing out free chocolate.

As this employee clearly has so little real work to do that they have time to become involved on matters of such irrelevance and insignificance they should be identified and fired, and their salary diverted to the social care budget. It would be real karma if they ended up working for a confectioner.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Cynical old me thinks the petition was raised by some marketing type at Cadbury. In the same way they brought back Wispas "by popular demand."

Unlikely to be anyone at Cadbury as Snickerthons are made by Mars - the same people who make Pedigree Chum, by the way.:smile:

I lost a tooth to one of those b*stards in 1979...

Toffo? They had nowt on a bar of McGowans Highland Toffee

Oh for the magic visits to the high street sweet shop of my pre-decimal, pre-school years and the magnificence of the Cadburys bars back then - the 2d, 1d and 1/2d ones, each wrapped in sparkling purple foil - that winked back at me at eye level from behind the glass counter as my mum sifted the correct coins from her purse.

The only question in my mind was which bar would I be getting. The 2d bar was the ultimate, though my mum would sensibly let me know the day before if that was going to be on the menu. This was so that I could arrange to meet three mates at the shop to help me carry it home - one at each corner.

Allegedly.

Mrs M

Guru
Super mousse, Texan, bar six and the milk tray chocolate bar (cost 10p so hardly ever got one :ohmy:)
IMG_1009.JPG

Slightly OT...

Apparently Iceland (the store) have patented the name and now are ststingthet Iceland (the country has no right to use the name, nor put things like "Product of Iceland or Icelandic on its exports!

Ironic for a company that was originally Icelandic

Iceland is now fighting back and challenging the patents

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cynical old me thinks the petition was raised by some marketing type at Cadbury. In the same way they brought back Wispas "by popular demand."
It's an ill wind, mind. I do like Wispas.
,In this time of austerity and cuts, someone in the carncil still has time to harass people handing out free chocolate.
The url below suggests that all this happened in the heady, boomtown days of 2004 though. Assuming it happened at all - it has the ring of something with its own Snopes page.

EDIT: It actually seems to have happened (or is first referenced, at least) in 2002. Subsequent references are of the "why oh why/pc gawn mad/it's just bantz girls" type, making it frustratingly difficult to pick out whatever grains of truth there may be in the tale.

EDIT2: Searching also turns up a distressing number of articles about small terriers being savaged by pitbulls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom