100 km (62 mile) forum ride from Garforth, Sat 29th April, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ooh, a flat metric century! Looks appealing, put me down as strong possibility @ColinJ. Cheers.
It would be nice to ride with you again.

We modified the route last year to take in a different cafe stop and that eliminated the only climb on the original route which had stressed me on singlespeed.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll bump this up again here to try and interest some more riders to join me, @Buck, @Julia9054, (strongly possibly?) @Moodyman and (possibly?) @Jameshow...

I have invited a couple of friends to join us but they haven't replied yet. I will give them a nudge soon to see how they feel about it.

This is probably the easiest metric century ride that I do. Here is the elevation profile of last year's route, which we will use again this year:

GarforthTadcaster 101 km loop profile.png

Not completely 'pan flat', but about as flat as you will get in Yorkshire! I had no difficulty at all doing this on my singlespeed bike so I would recommend it to anybody who fancies doing a slow, easy, chatty singlespeed or fixed gear ride. If you want to use gears and/or electric motor assistance - no problem.

More riders welcome - don't be square, be there! Express your interest below... :welcome:

PS I just noticed that @Domus hasn't popped in yet... Domus - Fancy joining us again this year?

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Grrr! Im now very doubtful for this as my builder has rearranged (again) and I need the work done before the 17th so its absolutely last minute now.
I need to be at home for this unless I can persuade Mrs Buck to deal with the direction and sign off!

Take it that I am sadly not coming but if my irresistible charm pays off, i’ll update here 👍🏻

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ I’ve gathered from
last year’s thread that it’s circa 9-9.15 start and approx 7pm finish. Is this still the case?
Let's say start around 09:15. My train should get to Garforth at 09:06.

Hmm... 7 pm sounds a bit late! :whistle:

I just checked and that was the estimated ETA for the planned 100 mile route, which we didn't do in the end. I can't remember what time we got back from the 100 km ride but it must have been long before that time! PS I found my Garmin file from the ride. We got back around 15:30. Let's say around that time, but it doesn't matter if we are a bit slower (or faster!) than that. We can just see how it goes.

Last year we got seats outside at the cafe in Tadcaster. If it is too busy this time (or we change our minds on the day) we could carry on and use our traditional stop at Cawood instead.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alas, my pals Carrie and Kevin can't make it, but as long as there are at least 3 of us and the weather is no worse than 'disappointing', let's stick to the 15th. I had a forum ride that ended up reduced to just me and one other rider, but he then dropped out just before the ride so I ended up doing it solo! :laugh:

Looks like it's more likely than this weekend as still in pain from my recent fall.
**cough** ???? :whistle:

Still no word from Domus...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Count me out.
Knee is still buggered - awaiting surgery again. Suspect anything more than a couple of miles would leave me in agony
Aaargh... I hope that you don't have to wait too long for that op, and that it sorts the problem out! (Hopefully, completely, but at minimum enough for you to get back into riding.)

Domus

Guru
Sorry for late reply Colin, as you know my life is a social whirl.
Senior Management can’t decide when we are going to the caravan this month. Having three daughters who all want a few days up in Grange as well. I suspect we are now qualified to sort out the Middle East.
So.............still not sure. 🤔

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry for late reply Colin, as you know my life is a social whirl.
Senior Management can’t decide when we are going to the caravan this month. Having three daughters who all want a few days up in Grange as well. I suspect we are now qualified to sort out the Middle East.
So.............still not sure. 🤔
Well, you know where to find us if it turns out to be a free Saturday! :okay: If not, enjoy Grange and see you on a different ride.

I will probably organise another scenic forum road ride from Hebden Bridge 2 or 3 weeks after this one.

Jameshow

Veteran
Count me out.
Knee is still buggered - awaiting surgery again. Suspect anything more than a couple of miles would leave me in agony

Same here my hip is too dodgy tbh.

gotta rest up I'm afraid...

Hoping 5 days rest will help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom