100 km ride from Leighton Buzzard, Sat 17th Mar 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
South route - definitely NOT single speed friendly! I'd struggle on at least two of the climbs without my 34/32...

North route - possible, but still might be quite a challenge on an SS.
I'll have to use my 'slice and dice' analytical method. (I chop up the route in my mapping software and throw away the flat bits and descents, then zoom in to examine the climbs in detail.)

toffee

Guru
OK still don't know if I can make the ride or whether I would be fit enough for it but here an alternative Northern rout.

Cafe stop at the Bike Bus at Bourne End. Can also pick up food in Stoney Straford.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26895107

I've had a chat with family and if we end up going past The Hale there would be tea/cake/etc on hand for a 'cafe' break for all who'd like it. We can accomodate about a dozen people fairly easily for a pitstop. Since it will be just before Persian New Year there would probably quite a lot of Persian sweets around too so NOT good for those watching the carbs. lol

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
The South route, after a gentle flat 15km opener, takes us over Aston Hill in Wendover Woods (the route shown is the direct, tougher way, but I'll put the alternative later on), past Champneys Spa and on to Tom's Hill at Aldbury (which I believe the riders went down on Colin's first trip), then a cafe stop at the Bridgewater Monument (about 45km in). I haven't been there myself, but have heard good things about it - website is http://www.brownlowcafe.co.uk. Continues through the Ashridge Estate (National Trust), up Red Lion Hill near Hemel Hempstead, then a long gentle climb from Markyate to Whipsnade Zoo, before the sharp descent of Bison Hill. Mainly flat as we go back round the outskirts of Leighton Buzzard and to the north, where there's a final graduated climb up to Great Brickhill through Rushmere Park, then heading back to the station via the Stoke Hammond Road.

South Route map is at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26653905, with an easier alternative to the full Aston Hill climb to be found at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26872698 (the route marked in blue is about 1.5 miles longer than the original red but about the same elevation).
As a local to the area I’d recommend this route. I have ridden these roads 100s of times and it makes for fantastic cycling. I’ve stopped at the cafe at the Ashridge monument many times also, the food is very good, but it can get busy at times with walkers and cyclists.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've had a chat with family and if we end up going past The Hale there would be tea/cake/etc on hand for a 'cafe' break for all who'd like it. We can accomodate about a dozen people fairly easily for a pitstop. Since it will be just before Persian New Year there would probably quite a lot of Persian sweets around too so NOT good for those watching the carbs. lol
It's a very kind offer but if it IS after only 20-25 kms then it is a bit too early to be stopping really. I don't mind NOT stopping or stopping for about 45 min after 50-55 kms, but we will only just have warmed up after 20 kms. I'd prefer to stick to just one stop later in the ride. I'm only down for a couple of days at my sister's house so I'd rather not get back too late or we will hardly see each other! :laugh:

I suggest that you locals decide on the exact route since I don't know the area. Post a link to a GPX file when you have decided so I can put it on my mapping software and choose which bike to bring. (I am toying with bringing my cyclocross bike for a change. I could try out my new rack and my cheapo Lidl panniers. Also - I will be riding to Oxford along the canal towpath on the Monday and it might be the best choice for that.)

Time to make a list of those expressing interest ...

Riders:

Possibles:

And to anybody else who might be interested ... come on down! :hello:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

sorry but i am still only a possible
Well, you can decide at the last minute, if needs be.

I have had people turn up for my rides unannounced before now, which is fine, but anyone considering doing that should make sure they get to the start in good time - one such rider cycled 30 miles to get to us and arrived just as we were setting off!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well, you can decide at the last minute, if needs be.

I have had people turn up for my rides unannounced before now, which is fine, but anyone considering doing that should make sure they get to the start in good time - one such rider cycled 30 miles to get to us and arrived just as we were setting off!
of course

if i had to have an input the first route covers a bit of one of my normal rides so could always meet up

steverob

Guru
Well so far the hillier route does seem to have the more people in favour, but I'll wait and see if anyone else wants to chip in before saying for sure that this is the one we're definitely going to go for. I'm happy whatever route we end up with - I'll just turn up at the station on the day and see who else is there ready for a ride!

On that note, I'll probably be getting a lift to Leighton Buzzard, but cycling home to Aylesbury after the ride, meaning I'll get just over 70 miles that day.

steverob

Guru
Unless the Beast from the East is still biting in 2.5 weeks time!
I certainly hope not, especially after my "fun" with the ice on Sunday's ride! Having said that, central Buckinghamshire seems to have escaped the worst of it so far - there was barely even an icing sugar dusting this morning.

I've tweaked the map for the South (hilly) route slightly to add more miles to the first half and countered by taking a few off the second half, so that our cafe stop is now nearer the 50km mark. I've also made the default path take the longer/easier route up Aston Hill (because I probably will do that), but the shorter/steeper version is still an option for anyone who wants to try it (Simon almost certainly will).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am fettling my CX bike in anticipation of the ride ...

I noticed that its front tyre was flat last night. I pumped it up and overnight it has lost 40% of its pressure so I am sorting that out.

I am also going to move 2 or 3 5 mm spacers from below the stem to above it because the position on that bike feels high compared to all of my other bikes.

I'll try to get a couple of rides in on the bike before I bring it down next week. I don't ride it much so it will be good to get out on it again.

~~~~~ MORE RIDERS WANTED - POST BELOW IF YOU FANCY JOINING US! ~~~~~~ :hello:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Colin, I should've replied to this thread long ago. Sorry about that.

I won't able to join you this time but I'll hope to in the future. It's always going to depend on being able to link it with a trip to the in-laws.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin, I should've replied to this thread long ago. Sorry about that.

I won't able to join you this time but I'll hope to in the future. It's always going to depend on being able to link it with a trip to the in-laws.
Sorry, I'm not in. I was never fully in anyway.

THere's still a vague chance but for now consider me out.
Ok, chaps.

My sister will be living in Leighton Buzzard for another couple of years until she retires, and will probably then move. That means I should be making several more visits with my bike. I'll organise rides each time. Hopefully, I will see you both again on one or more of them!

Top Bottom