100 km ride from Leighton Buzzard, Sat 17th Mar 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elysian_Roads

Excellent!

I hope that we can still get a ride in.

I have your number, Steve (xxxxx xxx 781?) and mine is still xxxxx xxx 978.

Unless we are forced to cancel, see you in front of the station at around 11:50.
Hope the ride goes ahead for you guys. Can't believe the forecast change in the weather, given how good it was today. On the back roads between High Wycombe and Aylesbury this afternoon, I saw more cyclists out on that route than I have ever done. Sadly I was in a car...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was agreeing with my niece that anybody cycling in the horrid conditions here today must be mad.

Steve just contacted me to tell me that a safety review with Simon concluded that only busy main roads could be relied on to be ice-free and we don't want to ride those roads, so... RIDE POSTPONED UNTIL 2019! (My next visit)

I am so relieved that I would kiss their feet in gratitude, only it is too cold to cycle over there to do it, and my lips would probably freeze to their shoes if I did! :laugh:

Fingers crossed now for better conditions on Monday when I intend to cycle to Oxford to catch my train home.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Weather update: My sister, niece and I just took their cat*** for a 10 minute stroll round the block. There was light snow, which wasn't a problem, but the biting wind driving it WAS! I was wearing the full-fingered Thinsulate gloves that I would have worn on the bike but just 10 minutes was enough for my hands to get really cold.

*** We were actually walking their Border Terrier but the cat came along as well! I have never seen a family's cat walking alongside their dog before...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Disappointing, but it sounds like a wise decision.

So what to do with the rest of the day?

Do your hosts have Eurosport?

Milan - San Remo kicks off shortly.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm... Their 'broadband' is rather 'narrow'! The speed kept changing between a pathetic 0.75 Mb/s and a barely acceptable 2.5 Mb/s which messed with Eurosport Player and soon, my head!

I gave up and will watch the replay when I get home.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Damn - now I have lost my ride to Oxford, due to have taken place tomorrow! We drove my nephew to work this evening. The main roads were okay but some of the quieter lanes had significant patches of ice on them. It is going to be well below freezing overnight. I am not prepared to risk it.

Oh well... No cycling on my break, but it was nice to see my family again.

Top Bottom