England : North Yorkshire 100 mile and 200 km Audaxes, nr. York, July 14th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Bunbury

The Three Bridges 161 audax is running again, this year it's on July 14th. It's the usual 100 mile loop: start from Stamford Bridge, take in the wolds and the Humber Bridge, a cafe stop at the bridge before heading home via Boothferry and Gunness bridges and another cafe stop at the waterways centre in Goole. There are usually a good couple of groups to ride with and the route is almost all flat, making this an ideal first imperial century.

New for 2012, the Bridges and Beaches 225 takes you through some of Clifton CC's favourite roads in scenic Thixendale before stopping for ice cream on the beach in Bridlington. From there it turns south along minor roads to the Humber, where it rejoins the Three Bridges route. The terrain is a little more varied than the Three Bridges and includes some climbs in and out of Thixendale, so this provides a good option if you'd like a challenge or if you want to ride a classic Audax 200+ km distance.

Both rides start from Stamford Bridge Scout Hut, Low Catton Road, Stamford Bridge.
The Bridges and Beaches 225 starts at 08:00 and the Three Bridges 161 starts at 09:00. The scout hut will be open from 07:30.

Entry is online, here for the Bridges & Beaches or here for the Three Bridges. Entry is open until July 4th, EOLs are fine but if you plan to do that, please bring a filled-out entry form with you to save time, and I'd also be grateful if you could drop me a line to say you're coming so that I can plan the food. Feel free to ask me any questions, though my internet access will be sporadic for the next few days as I'm going to watch some bike race or other in Liege.

See you in Stamford Bridge! To whet your appetite, here are a few photos from yesteryear.

The slower of the two main groups, just out of Stamford Bridge, York
4760290313_406cc65e5e.jpg

Quiet roads near the start
4760917590_2904fa60d8.jpg

The hilliest bit of the whole 3B route
4760294619_1587e2a5be.jpg

Lance pays us a visit on the way home
4760935468_2d884c9fae.jpg

Crossing the Humber (photo from a different ride)
4716219973_dd5778b118.jpg

Top Bottom