100 mile fixed gear ride - Spring 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I was planning to organise a joint fixed and unfixed century forum ride from Garforth. It would seem a bit pointless to do that if you aim to do a fixed-only ride from there at about the same time. Mind you, I suppose I could organise a freehub-only ride over the same route ... :whistle:

Nah do it together. :thumbsup:
I had a quick dabble just now and thought maybe a route taking in the Humber Bridge might be nice. It would probably be more than 100 though. 110 possibly 120 if main roads are to be avoided. It IS flat though so perhaps that would still be OK.

Edit: I think one route came out at 128 miles and something like 2000ft of hills.

Well when I say hills...................

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The area colly is talking about really is flat. One of the biggest climbs I did on a 100 km ride out there was the bridge over a motorway! The Humber Bridge is an interesting idea ...

I had a 125 km loop planned - north, east and south of Garforth, but I'm sure it would be possible to get it up to an imperial century or double metric by heading further east. I will also play about with ideas, but that will have to wait a week until I have access to my laptop again.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Never done a flat 100, even @ColinJ 's flat 100 we did on fixed 2 years ago definitely wasn't flat. Not sure I could cope with the boredom of never getting out of the saddle, I'm sorry for you @jongooligan but riding fixed is an all round experience, same as riding any bike but with a twist, can you elaborate on your problem? How long have you been riding fixed?

Riding fixed a lot when I was young on the flat then not at all for 25 years and now intermittently but only on the flat. Got a Bianchi Pista that I bought of a bloke in Co. Durham that had a 62" gear on it. I'm OK going uphill but feel like I'm going to dislocate my hips when I'm going downhill.

It was just a thought anyway. I'm happy enough riding it on my own when I come down to the flatlands to visit my family.

Riding fixed a lot when I was young on the flat then not at all for 25 years and now intermittently but only on the flat. Got a Bianchi Pista that I bought of a bloke in Co. Durham that had a 62" gear on it. I'm OK going uphill but feel like I'm going to dislocate my hips when I'm going downhill.

It was just a thought anyway. I'm happy enough riding it on my own when I come down to the flatlands to visit my family.
Blimey! No wonder, your legs must be whirring faster than a whirring thing going downhill.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
A bit drier would be nice as well
I thought we were pretty lucky with the rain, it was only that last 'proper' downpour that got us wet.
Although living where I do I guess I'm used to it :rain:
So, you think heading to Yorkshire will solve that..........:whistle:
That's called optimism, that is.:biggrin:

1gearnoidea

Is another 100 miler on the cards..if so I'm in, just done an 80 miler club run and managed fine..in hilly Yorkshire'

Top Bottom