100 mile ride advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
I'm doing my first century ride in about six weeks and would like to know from you knowledgeable lot your advice on food/nutrition before,during and after the ride?

Before: eat some pasta the night before, and a big breakfast on the day, which should include porridge if that suits you.

On the ride, I would suggest stopping at regular intervals (say every 10 or 15 miles after the first 30), and eating something like a flapjack, or a fig roll, or the like. Drink plenty, too, and do some quick stretches when you stop. I find stiffening up on the bike to be the most limiting factor for my time in the saddle. I would build in a cafe stop at about 60 or 70 miles (not half-way, it's psychological!), and have some cake and tea. Don't stop too long, or getting going again can be a chore.

Afterwards? Just hoover. You'll go from fridge to cake tin to bread basket to fridge to cake tin and so on, until you've had enough.......

In offering these suggestions I assume that this will be your longest ride, and towards the limit of your ability/ fitness. Some guys just hop on the bike and do it, drinking lots and having some gel, then hop off when they're finished as if nothing has happened.

Cheers ian and mike

I've done quite a few 50/60 mile rides and i am doing a 60 mile event in just over a week and although i am nearly 61:ohmy: i feel quite fit for my age.
Btw mike i HATE pasta.^_^

100 miles in 8.5 hours is very easy if it's a flat course, you are not an OAP, massively obese or have a serious health issue.
Actually, this is not true for everyone, some of us are naturally slower, and have to work at hitting this speed.

I cycle a lot am pretty fit and not an OAP nor obese (though I could safely lose 10kg), and out of 22,500km+ recorded in endomondo, it has my fastest time for 100km as 5h9m**. That's 12mph, which would only leave me a 10 minute margin on the 8 1/2 hours. Some riders are mystified by my speed, but I've always been slow. When I used to to fun runs, I would estimate my finishing time by taking the expected winners time and double it then add 10%.

So I agree it's doable, but @SK9 will have to do some work to complete it comfortably.

And the course may not be "flat" to a London rider. Lots of London commutes have no climbing, so finding some similar hills to practice on would be good.

**this was part of a 346km/215mile ride that I completed in 20 1/2 hours elapsed. I'm no slouch.

e-rider

crappy member
Actually, this is not true for everyone, some of us are naturally slower, and have to work at hitting this speed.

I cycle a lot am pretty fit and not an OAP nor obese (though I could safely lose 10kg), and out of 22,500km+ recorded in endomondo, it has my fastest time for 100km as 5h9m**. That's 12mph, which would only leave me a 10 minute margin on the 8 1/2 hours. Some riders are mystified by my speed, but I've always been slow. When I used to to fun runs, I would estimate my finishing time by taking the expected winners time and double it then add 10%.

So I agree it's doable, but @SK9 will have to do some work to complete it comfortably.

And the course may not be "flat" to a London rider. Lots of London commutes have no climbing, so finding some similar hills to practice on would be good.

**this was part of a 346km/215mile ride that I completed in 20 1/2 hours elapsed. I'm no slouch.
...but you state yourself that you are much slower than average and even then you would have 10 minutes to spare! Perhaps a small minority might be borderline, but for most 'normal' people this is very achievable with just basic prep

compo

Veteran
100 miles in 8.5 hours is very easy if it's a flat course, you are not an OAP, massively obese or have a serious health issue. Assuming you don't/aren't then just get some 65 mile rides in beforehand and you'll be fine.

Funny how people are stereotyped. I am an overweight (17 stone plus) OAP with serious health problems and have twice completed the Dunwich Dynamo in under 12 hours, which time includes stops for food etc. I ride a Trek hybrid, and on the Dynamo I use full panniers. I am looking forward to doing this year's event. I only train up to doing a couple of approx 70 mile rides before the event. I would say that regularity of rides in training is almost as important as distance. I reckon I would get more benefit from doing say 3 x 40 milers in a week than trying to do longer rides and struggling to recover. At present I am up to 2 x 50 and 1 x 60 mile rides, and my average speed is about 12 mph when alone but faster when with a group. Slow by many standards but I am happy with it. Food on my rides? Fig rolls, malt loaf, bread pudding and bananas, plus on the overnight Dynamo, bacon sandwiches and plenty of hot tea. Also remember to drink plenty even if you don't feel thirsty.

Top Bottom