100 mile training plans ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

I would pedal, not peddle, but yes. Ride and build up the mileage. If the objective is to hit 100, then it is simply about time in the saddle, plus the will to get there and the nutrition to give you the will to get there.

OP
OP
Angry Blonde

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Ive done a load of sixtys with no training....done the coast to coast with no training..

Should be able to manage it really....just all the training plans are all heart rate monitor...or cadence based....

And ive got neither....nor would i ever get one...

Tin Pot

Guru
Ive done a load of sixtys with no training....done the coast to coast with no training..

Should be able to manage it really....just all the training plans are all heart rate monitor...or cadence based....

And ive got neither....nor would i ever get one...

Training for it will make you faster and/or more comfortable doing it.

Using a structured plan will give you better results for the same effort.

PK99

Legendary Member
Is it better to follow a training plan..or just get out as much as i can and peddle further ?

Depends what you want to do:

Ride 100 miles for the hell of it = get out and ride

Do the best time you can over 100 miles = follow a century-specific training plan.

I'm very much the former and last year found 6*100 milers pretty straightforward. A couple of the ones I did, I had no thought of doing 100 when I set out, but I felt good, the sun was shining and I just kept rolling.

huwsparky

Über Member
You don't need a hrm or work to a perticular cadence. So many people here seem to think by changing their cadence that they'll be able to ride like Chris Froome, well, it's not gonna happen I'm afraid. Ride at a comfortable cadence, feeling comfortable for as long as possible surely has to be high up on the list of priorities.

Just up the milage at what you feel comfortable. Your number one priority has to be nutrition. Don't take enough food and drink on and you'll be in trouble. I'm guessing, by the fact that your asking the question is your gonna be on the bike a long time to complete the task but you've not given us indication at you current fitness level.

The difference between 60 and a 100 miles is a lot. You'll need to train or ride well within yourself, possibly both!

Do the best time you can over 100 miles = follow a century-specific training plan.

I'm very much the former and last year found 6*100 milers pretty straightforward. A couple of the ones I did, I had no thought of doing 100 when I set out, but I felt good, the sun was shining and I just kept rolling.
This ^^^^^^

Ive done a lot of century + rides with the former; this year I'm trying the latter.

13 rider

Guru
Last year I did my first century previous longest ride was 68 miles. Plot a flatish route plan a coffee stop and take your time . I found it hard to hold myself back but knew if I kept it around 14 mph I would be OK .Got to Ninety miles OK last ten were a struggle but this were the mental bit comes in just keep pedalling . Great sense of achievement when the odemeter goes into 3 figures.Good luck

huwsparky

Über Member

Also this. You don't need a training plan to ride a 100 miles but it would probably help if you had a time limit to do it in.

ayceejay

Guru
One way to get a mental advantage is to have already done the distance before the event, this way you know that you can do it and this will ease the pressure. Obviously it will also help you with your physical fitness and nutritional needs

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Is it better to follow a training plan..or just get out as much as i can and peddle further ?
Time in the saddle, be as comfortable as possible on your bike, and as mentioned make sure you fuel yourself properly. Don't burn yourself out though, make sure you have your rest days.

Oh and enjoy your cycling :okay:

OP
OP
Angry Blonde

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Cheers chaps.... currently im fat but fit haha...60 mile bikerides are ok.

I managed to finish the Beast at durham which should have been called hell.

But i manage 60....but dont really get out as much as i should

Top Bottom