100 mile training plans ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I had a couple of training plans for the RideLondon 100 last year - the official one and one from the charity I was riding for. At the end of the day neither really suited either the time I had available to ride or the topology I was riding over. I settled on just riding as much as I could, mixing up long rides and short rides, plenty of hills, different speeds. I think my longest training ride was 70 and I found the 100 relatively straight forward. At the end of day I knew it was just a matter of keeping the peddles turning !
Best of luck with your training, enjoy the riding !

martint235

Dog on a bike
You don't need a hrm or work to a perticular cadence. So many people here seem to think by changing their cadence that they'll be able to ride like Chris Froome, well, it's not gonna happen I'm afraid. Ride at a comfortable cadence, feeling comfortable for as long as possible surely has to be high up on the list of priorities.

Just up the milage at what you feel comfortable. Your number one priority has to be nutrition. Don't take enough food and drink on and you'll be in trouble. I'm guessing, by the fact that your asking the question is your gonna be on the bike a long time to complete the task but you've not given us indication at you current fitness level.

The difference between 60 and a 100 miles is a lot. You'll need to train or ride well within yourself, possibly both!
I agreed with a lot of that up to the last sentence. There isn't a big difference between 60 and 100 miles, it's one more food stop I'd say. For me that means a food stop as I'll do a 65 miler without stopping for food.

If you're doing 60 miles and feeling ok, 100 miles is another 2 and half hours in the saddle. If you're commuting a reasonable distance (around 20 miles a day) as well then you really don't need to train for a century. It can take a bit of willpower but I'd say just get out there and ride it. I'd not done any centuries for months when I entered a 160 miler last May. No drama, just rode it.

Glad to see that Triban is getting some stick. I think British Cycling has training plans on that maybe of some use but any plan will have at least two to three days riding per week which may not fit with your lifestyle. I am predominantly a commuter and knock off early if I want a long ride as I cant get out at weekends.

Top Bottom