100 mile Training Target - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottyD

I could really do with some advice. I'm hoping to do the manchester 100 mile run in September thsi year. I'd like to know the best way of getting to a level where this is achievable.
Current State:
Not fit, but not inactive either. Try to cycle to work once a week (11 miles each way) and do the odd weekend ride. I did 16 miles this weekend and felt ok at the end of it. Look about 1h 10m including some reasonable climbs and some nasty head winds. No real aches or pains next day and could probably have pushed on another 5 miles easily enough.
Restrictons:
I can cycle in to work a maximum of 3 times a week, although twice is more realistic. Should be able to get one long ride in most weekends, but not all the time. Time is my biggest restiction due to work and home life.
Bike:
Raleigh road bike, 12 months old.

How should i be training for this one?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Best training for any sports event is a little bit but regularly - keeps body and mind in right mode.

You don't need to be thinking of 100 miles just yet - work in small chunks - say 10 miles one week, 15 the next, 25 the third week and so on. But only move up when you're comfortable (ish).

If you're time restricted, commute more often. You will have to commute anyway, so by cycling, it's better time utilisation.

When you get close to the event you want to be able to commute 80 miles without thinking too much about it. Once you get to that level there's little difference between 80 and 100 and you'll make up the difference by the high of the occasion anyway.

A friend recently ran a marathon. His longest training runs were 20 miles. He found no difference between these and the 26 miles of the actual event. Once you get to a specific fitness level distance becomes a lesser issue.

Then, there's diet. Now don't go overboard with carbs & proteins and essential oils, but eat healthily and avoid junk food.

Will1985

Über Member
Make sure you can sit in the saddle for 3+ hours at a time. If you set off in a group and are comfortable riding wheel to wheel you'll find it much easier.

Build up the length of your rides in the weeks/months leading up to the ride. Make the biggest ride (65 miles should do tops) 2 weeks before, then taper down.

darkstar

Don't try to increase the milage too quickly, do one long ride per week and try to commute twice per week. Try riding 20 miles at your first target, increase this gradually (20% per week). Over time your body will soon get used to this and the milage will shoot up. In 2 months you should be able to ride a 50 with ease, then just keep it going.

OP
OP
S

scottyD

That's great. Thanks for the help. I'll make a start next week and see how things progress. With the lighter nights, it should be easier to get out in the week. Thanks again. As for nutirtion, I'll have to watch that. I don't want to loose any weight as a result of this. If anything, I'd like to put some on (as long as it is muscle!).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome!
Agree with all the above stuff.
On a regular diet you'll be OK up to about 25 to 30 miles, over that sort of distance you need to think about fuelling. As stated, after a while increasing distance is more about food and water than your legs!
"Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty" is the rule.

You don't need fancy stuff really, just high energy easily digestible stuff you like. I carry Jelly babies as a regular nibble as I pedal, malt-loaf and flap jacks are good, bananas, crisps/peanuts (always something salty on longer rides), I've also found beef Jerky to be good, light and full of cals. After about 60 miles I'd probably stop for a cheeseburger and a pint or 2 of full fat coke! Experiment with what works for you. Energy drinks are good too but can cause stomach cramping and wind! Currently I'm using water with 'Zero sport electrolyte tabs' as a no sugar alternative to energy drinks, seems to work OK.
Use a pint of milk or milkshake/choco-milk as a recovery drink when you get home, most excellent benefit for low cost.

As stated, build-up the miles, next target 25, then move up to 50. Once you're over 50 it's pretty plain sailing to 100.

Finally, yuo could consider using one of ypur weekly commutes as a faster-speed training run and toodle home, to really build the CV system.

Congrats for taking up the challenge!

zacklaws

Guru
Following on from the good advice regarding nutrition, once you have found things that you can "stomach" without any disorders, stick with it and don't change and try something new on a long run, upset stomachs miles from home is a bit unpleasant, trial new foods whilst at home or work before use on a long run.

For some unknown reason, I was able to eat solids throughout a long ride over 60+ miles but the past four months, solids can make me feel sick on occasions. My favourite home made energy bars for example, I cannot stop eating them, but during a long ride, they just want to make me throw up. Yesterday on a 107 mile ride, I stopped for a water resupply and also bought a Mars bar for something different to eat, but despite loving chocolate, it took me nearly an hour to nibble it away without being sick. Towards the end of a long ride now, I switch to gels which are far more palatable.

Oddly enough, I think its in one of this months magazines about nutrition on long rides and it mentions something about solids at the beginning and gels towards the end.

OP
OP
S

scottyD

Thanks again. Did 21 miles at the weekend in 1h 30m. Next weekends target will be 25. You folks are right, need to start thinking about the nutrition side of things now the distances are creeping up. If i can add 5 miles a week i should hit the 100m mark 3 or 4 weeks before the event. Leaves a bit capacity if i don't manage the increase for the odd week.

shippers

Great news!
If it's this event you're doing-http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=231 The Manchester 100, it's 100k, not 100 miles, so you've saved yourself about 40 miles already.
A 60 mile ride is still not to be sniffed at, and to be fair it's further than I've managed for quite a long time.

If it's not this event, post a link- I might be tempted to join you!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Plot the route on Map my Ride or Bikeroute toaster and see how much climbing there is. It makes a huge difference to the amount of training you need to do.

I did my first 100 on a heavy hybrid with not much training eat just sandwiches and pancakes found it easy but it was a very flat route.

Did my second 100 plus yesterday on my nice light Scott Road bike but this route had 7500 ft of climbing and was much harder.Tried a couple of Sport gels for the first time about 20 minutes before the big climbs a bit sticky but certainly give you a boost when you need it and can be sucked out of the tube as you ride along.

OP
OP
S

scottyD

Yep, going for the 100 mile one. A friend of mine did it last year, so doing the 60 mile feels like a bit of a cop out. although as Shippers says, it's stilla decent run! Luckily i live on pretty much on the route, so once i figure out the exact route, i should be able to practice parts of it. There will be some climbing, but at the end of the day it's Cheshire. There is only so far upwards you can go! Never tried the gels but i'll start to experiement with those a little. They do seem an effcient way of getting the right stuff in you with minimum weight and space. The route also has a compulsory stop half way around, so can refil bottles there. In terms of liquids, the max i would probably carry is 2 x 1 litre bottles in frame mounted cages. Will this be enough, especially if it is a warmer day?

Fiona N

Veteran
scottyD said:
... There will be some climbing, but at the end of the day it's Cheshire. There is only so far upwards you can go! ...

Believe me (and I used to race in Switzerland ;) and I used to live in Chapel-en-le-Frith ;)) 3000m of climbing in Cheshire is a killer compared to 3000m of climbing in the Alps over the same distance. The ups are short and brutish and the descents too short to recover so if you're not climbing the ups well within your capabilities, it's only too easy to end up completely knackered after a couple of hours with 100km still to ride.

toroddf

OK........ I am a twenty stones heavy village idiot and not fit for human consumption.
I also do many 100 miles on the bike each year.

Let there be no doubts about it: 100 miles on a bike is a considerable achievement and be proud of that. But I would also say that do not be afraid of that number. Because that's what it is: A number.

Most of a 100 miles ride happens between the ears. It means the will to move slowly over this distance for several hours. So rule number one is to choose an area which is interesting for the eyes. Preferable; an area new to you. It is called exploring and you are doing the ride in the footsteps of Amundsen, Shackleton and Sir Edmund Hillary. Therefore; be positive and inquisitive.
Also; have a game-plan with goals for where you want to be when, but do concentrate on the next 100 yards/meters instead of the warm bed which awaits you at home. Have a look around and keep an eye on the local sheep, cows, foxes, otters and other wildlife. Simply; be an explorer.

Daydreaming is nice. You are winning Tour De France. Enjoy the adulation and the victory. You are the most admired person on this planet. Fact....... in a daydream.
Also; keep an eye on the computer and do not try to dip under a set speed. Keep the rhythm and drink plenty. When you are thirsty; it's too late.

Don't be ashamed to jump of the bike and walk a steep hill. I do that all the time. What't the point of climbing in 5 miles an hour when you can take a break in 3 miles an hour when walking ? I rather walk.

Whatever you do; don't think about that number 100. And I should know; I have done tens of them. And I am classified morbidly fat.

Top Bottom