100 mile training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At one level there is nothing wrong with simply going out on your bike and riding 100 miles. A couple of Cafe stops on route and your only looking at three 34mile rides. Nice day out. However you did ask about training for 100 mile rides. There seems to be a good base of opinion that for longer distance training you don't really want to do more than 6hours a day. The reason being that for many people you stress your body enough that all it can do is recover and it becomes to much to be a good training stimulus. Of course how far you manage in six hours is part of the equation.

I'm of the opinion that its the rides between three and four hours that really help build fitness for longer rides.

I would suggest gently building up without going over six hours before the big day.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I have done four 100 milers this year and found that comfort is critical. Its more about endurance for me. I just keep plodding along grinding out the miles. Take lots of fluids and food and its easier than you think.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yesterday I did a 162km Audax which is a 100mile ride. It was only the second 100 miler that I have done this year. All of my other rides have been 100km (about 62 miles). There shouldn't be a problem stepping up to 100miles from 60 miles. I got round the 100 miles in eight and a half hours including two cafe breaks.

There's nothing the be frightened of if you keep hydrated and eat regularly. I got round yesterday's ride on a couple of weetabix and a bacon roll for breakfast, three bananas, a blueberry muffin, one and a half litres of Go Energy drink, a bottle of lucozade, a packet of salted crisps and can of Sprite

If you are wanting to ride a sportive then that's a different story.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Audaxes can be slower than sportives - the top average speed is capped at 30km/hr success is confined to finishing within the time limit with no timings or placings being posted on the results sheet.. Sportives can be all out ball busting events which are races in all but name and where times and positions are published.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Cheers for t'explanation

I did my first sportive the other week (100k), and it's fair to say I did get sucked in to the competitive side! However, the first time I attempt 100 miles, I just want to get round. I'll be taking it very easy, so maybe a sportive is not the best place to attempt it.

In some respects a Sportive is easier. Big charging groups pretending their in road races. If you know how to sit in one of these and save energy there will often be others quite happy(?) to tow you along. Unfortunately quite a lot of the riders in sportives need a bit more practice in these situations. It has even been heard for riders to arrange domestics for sportives that meet them for a section and give them a wheel for a section of the route to help them get a better time. But that's another story.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Interesting thread, as I was about to ask the same question! I fancy doing the 91 mile Northern Angel sportive in a couple of weeks, and the ride to-and-from the start should round it up to 101 miles.

In the last few weeks I've done a 70 mile and a 63 mile at a rolling average of around 15mph, without feeling too tired.

I'd not be going for a quick time, just a finish to break that 100 mile barrier.

What d'ya reckon? Anyone had any experience of completing an imperial century having only gone as far as 70 miles before?

Yes, me. Did 132 miles (social ride) having done nothing more than a 75ish ride. And had no problems.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I just did my first 100 mile ride this weekend.

I've been commuting 20 miles a day most days for the last 6 months and doing fast (for me) 30-40 mile rides or more steady 60-80 mile rides at the weekend.

I ended up doing 143 miles in total on Sunday and to be honest could have carried on. I think once you get over a certain distance it just comes down to pacing yourself and eating/drinking enough.

Sounds like you will be fine :biggrin:

x2 ^^^^^ this just about sums up my typical riding. Many 10 mile bursts on the commute with casual 60 milers occasionally and just a couple of steady 100 milers. I also pushed my limits on the M/cr to Blackpool event by riding to the start, doing the ride and then cycling home. In total 136 miles for me with no 'training' and very little distance riding in preparation. I think the Bike Event (yes, I know! :rolleyes:) style events are a good way to push your distance limits in a sociable and non-pressured event with some support should things go wrong.

The most important thing to remember is to pace yourself. I nearly came unstuck because even though I knew I would be going 30-40 miles further than ever before, once I passed the start line I couldn't resist 'going for it' and getting a good time. I did the 62 miles in 3H15m without stopping or eating but had a bad case of jelly legs as I approached the finish line. Luckily I had chance to recover and eat/drink well before doing the 60+ miles home with no further problems (other than a puncture in the p*ssing rain just as it got hilly!!!).

Top Bottom