100 miles in a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

That is a very good idea indeed. If not maybe a place to visit that has refreshments?

The other advantage of family/mate is a free taxi service if it all goes wrong.

On my longer rides I still keep a mental note of who is geographically the nearest contact should a wheel suddenly go Pringle shaped.

OP
OP
A

Adolf

No I mean you will get the shakes, your temperature will drop and you will lose engery hand over fist.

Okay I understand what you mean now, I actually thought you meant crash.

I've felt that a few times, low energy and stuff.

Quick question Adolf, do you know anyone who lives 50 miles away?

That's how I did my first 100, I biked to my brothers place. Knowing that there was ample fuel reserves and an excuse to stop for 20 minutes at half distance made the whole thing seem much less daunting.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that lives 50 miles from Newcastle-ish area, where is a good 50 miles from Newcastle?

@ Can someone also tell me how to get access to the Chat thing? Next to Blogs and Calendar.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Okay I understand what you mean now, I actually thought you meant crash.

I've felt that a few times, low energy and stuff.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that lives 50 miles from Newcastle-ish area, where is a good 50 miles from Newcastle?

@ Can someone also tell me how to get access to the Chat thing? Next to Blogs and Calendar.

Just click on chat and you should enter the room. There "may" be a delay on newbies using it?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your house!

Just ride a 50 mile loop which brings you home again. If you feel confident, do another 50 mile loop after rest and refuelling. If less confident, do a 25 mile loop and if you aren't exhausted after that, one more 25 mile loop will bag you your century!

PoliceMadAd

I did 94 miles in May, which was 27 there, hour or so rest, 40 charity ride,15 mins rest, then 27 back. I was shattered, but never done more than 60 b4 that. I wanted to top it up to 100 but just couldn't, i will do 100 soon :smile:

al78

Guru
Your house!

Just ride a 50 mile loop which brings you home again. If you feel confident, do another 50 mile loop after rest and refuelling. If less confident, do a 25 mile loop and if you aren't exhausted after that, one more 25 mile loop will bag you your century!

I'm not sure I would have the discipline to do another 50 mile loop rather than jump into a nice warm shower lol :smile:.

Another alternative would be to do a route that stays close to a rail route, then if you find it too much cycle to the nearest station and get the train back.

Bicycle

Yes, it's possible.

My daughter (17 and not particularly sporty but likes to cycle) did 120 miles the other day for the first time.

She built up to it with nothing longer than 14 miles at a time. No marathon rides to prep her.

There were regular 4-mile climbs in the Malverns and a nice little 8-mile loop in the roilling hills around our home.

Both of these she did regularly (pretty much daily) for 4 weeks and either at full tilt or at max cadence in a low gear.

To my amazement she got to the end of the 120 miles full of energy, even after sprinting the final 700 metres.

Her average speed was 15.5 mph, which sounds low but there was traffic for the last 30 miles.

Her hands were sore the next day, but that was all.

Go for it!

But make sure the bicycle is sorted, take appropriate spares and maybe consider vaseline or similar in shorts....:biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not sure I would have the discipline to do another 50 mile loop rather than jump into a nice warm shower lol :smile:.
I must confess that I had the idea years ago but have never tried it out! ;)

I have organised a couple of shorter forum rides that way though. Some people came along for the first loop only and some stuck with me for a second, different loop. That worked out quite well.

postman

Legendary Member
61 and my mate 67.We did 104 miles recently.It was flat.Meanwood Leeds to Market Weighton.Porridge and toast for breakfast.A stop after 20 miles for hot sarnie and a coffee.-Plenty of water and fruit bars.A good drink and a sandwich in MW.Banana with a twix bar.On the way back main meal was a takeaway baked tattie with baked beans.More water and cola.After 95 miles the weariness set in,and i felt as though i was being boiled .Hot day bald head.But would i do it again .You bet we are.Already looking for somewhere otherside of York to visit.You can do it.

Top Bottom