100 miles in a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonofpear

I've went from South Shields to Corbridge before and just slept well that night...was fine.

I've been out before and did very little with next to no sleep and felt shoot, went out before with food in me and been smart as a dart, I'm only 19 so I'm athletically fit as well.

I would like to see myself do a 100 miler though, with training can you do this in 6 hours?

Also, would training on a older heavier bike work better?

South shields to corbridge is a nice ride. Which route do you take. Maybe head on through to Hexham next time. And then take it a little further after that.
I'm from south shields aswell, just out of curiosity what kinda bike do you ride?

OP
OP
A

Adolf

South shields to corbridge is a nice ride. Which route do you take. Maybe head on through to Hexham next time. And then take it a little further after that.
I'm from south shields aswell, just out of curiosity what kinda bike do you ride?

I've been to Corbridge before and a Sarasen, yourself?

I've also been to parts of Hexham before when I used to see my dad he rides a racer to.

How old are you?

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Not sure i could ever get to a 100 because of the numbness in my hands when riding. Also get it in the forearms too. Never any issues with cardio or legs tiring tho. Same on all three bikes i ride.

It sounds more like a set up problem hindering you, of course you can do it :-)

OP
OP
A

Adolf

It sounds more like a set up problem hindering you, of course you can do it :-)

I'm going to have to get a route, the problem is I don't really want to be riding on A roads neither
wacko.gif

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I'm going to have to get a route, the problem is I don't really want to be riding on A roads neither
wacko.gif

A roads are funny, I advoid most on a leisure ride, maybe only using bits of them to connect up B roads/ country paths but sometimes they are actually quite good, yet other times they are like Motorways, that where local knowledge will help. I think Iwas new to an area I'd check out other cyclists mapped rides on a site like garmin connect, bikely, ridewithgps, mapmyride, etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So basically anything sugary like mars bars, snickers and stuff will work to?

For 100 miles, what will the average MPH generally be?

Sugar like that is no good. You need a mix of complex carbs. You'll get a sugar rush, then insulin kicks in and you'll crash. For distance riding you need slower release like cake, energy drink, oat bars etc.

OP
OP
A

Adolf

Sugar like that is no good. You need a mix of complex carbs. You'll get a sugar rush, then insulin kicks in and you'll crash. For distance riding you need slower release like cake, energy drink, oat bars etc.

You will crash if you have to much sugar whilst riding?

I have heard about putting tablets in just normal water, are these any good to?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You will crash if you have to much sugar whilst riding?

I have heard about putting tablets in just normal water, are these any good to?

Yep. The body needs slow release carbs in the main. A small amount of sugar will not hurt you but if you eat too much you will crash badly.
What kind of tablets?

OP
OP
A

Adolf

Yep. The body needs slow release carbs in the main. A small amount of sugar will not hurt you but if you eat too much you will crash badly.
What kind of tablets?

You actually mean come off the bike?
ohmy.gif

I'm not sure what the tablets are called but you put them in some liquid and dissolves and supposively gives you a boost?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You actually mean come off the bike?
ohmy.gif

I'm not sure what the tablets are called but you put them in some liquid and dissolves and supposively gives you a boost?

No I mean you will get the shakes, your temperature will drop and you will lose engery hand over fist.

tyred

Legendary Member
I tend to eat peanuts while on a longer ride. Seems to work okay and a packet is easy to keep in your pocket and help yourself while you ride.

TVC

Quick question Adolf, do you know anyone who lives 50 miles away?

That's how I did my first 100, I biked to my brothers place. Knowing that there was ample fuel reserves and an excuse to stop for 20 minutes at half distance made the whole thing seem much less daunting.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Quick question Adolf, do you know anyone who lives 50 miles away?

That's how I did my first 100, I biked to my brothers place. Knowing that there was ample fuel reserves and an excuse to stop for 20 minutes at half distance made the whole thing seem much less daunting.

That is a very good idea indeed. If not maybe a place to visit that has refreshments?

Top Bottom